• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hi From Canada

Eric Jeppesen

Reaction score
Hello from Illinois! I wish to drive my Elio from Chicago to Ottawa so I contacted the Canadian Consulate in Chicago. They referred me to a website that listed the cars that can be imported into Canada. Elio was not on the list so I cannot drive it to Canada until Elio has been approved for import. Other Canadians have said that they had contacted their MP. Contact your MP. I also have suggested that Elio Owners start a Canada forum. These import problems and access to Canada more than justify a Canada Forum. Maybe we could have an Elio convention at Lake Louise! Until then, keep the beer cold and the girls warm!
Hi Bikebrains - I'm from Clarendon Hills, but in BC now. I don't believe they will stop you at the border if you have all your paperwork from IL. They want your tourist dollars. The list you refer to is the import list that is accepted with no inspections (for Canadian to import...) I don't even think they will make you get it inspected (here in BC, Kal-Tire does the inspections). You might want to clarify, this, but there is a difference in Importing and driving in a out (like a tourist)

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't even think they will make you get it inspected (here in BC, Kal-Tire does the inspections). You might want to clarify, this, but there is a difference in Importing and driving in a out (like a tourist)
Another good reason for a Canada forum. The U. S. tourist needs to see a precise statement from the Canadian government on what can be driven in and then out of the country. The idea of inspections could lead to required modifications before continuing into Canada. The Chicago consul referred me to the import list. This situation is somewhat similar to a U. S. antique car club wanting to enter Canada.
On the comedy side, I picture a movie called The Griswold Family's Canadian Vacation starting with a trip to a Canadian jail because their car is illegal.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Another good reason for a Canada forum. The U. S. tourist needs to see a precise statement from the Canadian government on what can be driven in and then out of the country. The idea of inspections could lead to required modifications before continuing into Canada. The Chicago consul referred me to the import list. This situation is somewhat similar to a U. S. antique car club wanting to enter Canada.
On the comedy side, I picture a movie called The Griswold Family's Canadian Vacation starting with a trip to a Canadian jail because their car is illegal.
Just an FYI; I've put in a request for a Canadian section to be added.

Eric Jeppesen

Reaction score
The Elio will be a legal vehicle for use in Canada assuming crash tests and emission tests are met. There are 2 national categories for vehicles that have 3 wheels. If it has a seat like a motorcycle and handlebars it is a trike. If it has a windshield, steering wheel and a seat like a car, it is a three wheeled vehicle. All provinces and territories are following ottawa’s Definitions from 2002.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will be a legal vehicle for use in Canada assuming crash tests and emission tests are met. There are 2 national categories for vehicles that have 3 wheels. If it has a seat like a motorcycle and handlebars it is a trike. If it has a windshield, steering wheel and a seat like a car, it is a three wheeled vehicle. All provinces and territories are following ottawa’s Definitions from 2002.
Welcome from a neighbor, you're just up the road- crash and emission testing for this "autocycle"is at best iffy. (SP?)
Started out gonna have a 5 star rating, reality bites, now talks of safety. I think it could be one of the safest three wheelers, but I'm sure will not be tested by automotive standards.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No worries. I have brought three non conforming cars into Canada. Drove one through without plates, they charged me import duties and let me go through. Customs does not care, the government only cares when you get them licenced. Customs cares about drugs, guns and citizenship. One problem would be hunters. The gun has to be secured and not accessible to the driver or passengers.

Top Bottom