1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

How This Radical Car Missed Its Chance To Change The World - Maybe!

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Travelbuzz1, Dec 28, 2018.

1. johnsnownw

johnsnownw Elio Addict

I think we're several decades away from any issues with gasoline availability.

I have no issues with a technology that can produce a carbon neutral fuel...I just don't see the value for homeowners to invest in one at this time, especially when they could invest in solar, that has uses outside of transportation...and could potentially make money for them when they sell excess energy back to "grid."

2. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I read an article about car purchases and out of 100 cars purchased, 1.9 were electric, and out of that 100 cars, 1 was stick shift.
    So 97 cars purchased are gasoline, and automatics. Goes to show you how electric has a way to go to be main stream.

Grumpy Cat likes this.
  3. johnsnownw

johnsnownw Elio Addict

Well, there aren't exactly a ton of EVs being produced...both in number and in variation. There are zero electric pick-up trucks for sale, which is the most sold vehicle in the U.S., and the average sale price of most EVs is above the Avg. new car price.

In the next 5 years the number of EVs sold out of 100 cars will probably be around 30/100. Which is still only 30%...but quite a huge leap from 2%.

Travelbuzz1 likes this.
  4. Travelbuzz1

Travelbuzz1 Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    I asked if this woman was replaced after I received this message below without an answer so far.

The Elio Customer Experience Team
    (Elio Motors)

Nov 13, 10:01 EST

Nothing to elaborate on Jerry, Connie Grennan works for another company.

Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
    The Elio Team

5. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I just wrote a copy of the article I read, not a judgement call. And you know they are talking averages, they've sold far more then 100 cars.

6. johnsnownw

johnsnownw Elio Addict

Well, right we're talking percentages. I'm just pointing out that in the next 5 years manufacturers are set to flood the U.S. market with BEVs, in the form of Sedans (Tesla, Porsche, Nissan, Infiniti, Volvo, Lexus, BMW), CUVs (VW, Tesla, Ford, Audi, Mazda, Volvo) SUVs (Rivian, Audi, Ford, Mercedes), and Pick-up trucks (Ford, Rivian, Tesla). These are just the manufacturers with announced models, and the funding to do so.

Coss likes this.
  7. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

8. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

At least the right side of the Elio should do well since there's no door. In the end, when the IIHS tests the Elio, that will tell the tale. We know that they will test the Elio when it comes out. I do know that the IIHS only tests production models not prototypes. This is why they buy cars off the dealer lot as opposed to manufacturer supplied ones. Make sure they get real world results.

9. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    IIHS should get together with NASCAR and learn from their engineers.

10. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

Here's something interesting:

Hyundai spends big on EVs, self-driving cars
    • Calling it "Strategy 2025," the 61.1T won ($51.81B) figure will be spent on future technologies over the next five years, with a third of the expenditure focused on electric and autonomous vehicles.
    • Hyundai Motor (OTCPK:HYMTF) is also looking at developing flying cars, which could be commercialized ahead of the most advanced self-driving cars, according to executive vice chairman Euisun Chung.