• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How To Sell Something With Both Parties Being Protected?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not normal. As a buyer, I've *never* had to confirm delivery of the stuff I bought. Perhaps this is an option for expensive stuff?

Same here. Never confirmed delivery as a buyer (I think the UPS, FedEx guys do that) , but always left feedback once the item was received. Last relatively expensive thing I bought was a $800 3D printer. No different transaction than the $16 heating element I got last week.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not normal. As a buyer, I've *never* had to confirm delivery of the stuff I bought. Perhaps this is an option for expensive stuff?

Well, I was selling a $300+ item, and had ZERO selling history because of a new account, so that might have something to do with it. And I don't think the buyer actually had to confirm delivery: the money was held for 21 days, but that lowered to 4 days when I marked it as "shipped" and added a tracking number to the item. I think I got my money about the same time as the buyer got the package.

Also of note: about 10 minutes after putting up the posting, I got a phone call from an eBay representative to confirm that I wasn't a robot or something. Despite my worries about being a new eBay seller, the entire process was smooth and simple.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I learned early on, keep it in the States- Canada and the rest of the planet requires additional paperwork (read hassle). I've bought overseas, and it's no different than domestic- just can take a LOT LONGER to get to you.
I find them great when not buying new. and between Craigs and EB can always get the market price.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that PayPal is about as close to a full service international bank as you can get; they have come a very long way since eBay started it.
Here's a quick description of how it started:

"Established in 1998, PayPal had its IPO in 2002, and became a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay later that year. It was spun off as an independently traded company in July 2015.

In 2014, PayPal moved $228 billion in 26 currencies across more than 190 nations, generating a total revenue of $7.9 billion (44% of eBay’s total profits).The same year, eBay announced plans to spin-off PayPal into an independent company by mid-2015 and was complete on July 18, 2015."

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and replies and the :).

We went with PayPal.

"You have an instant payment of $997.33 USD from xzxzxzxzxzxzx. You are required to ship out the item and get back to us with the tracking number."

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and replies and the :).

We went with PayPal.

"You have an instant payment of $997.33 USD from xzxzxzxzxzxzx. You are required to ship out the item and get back to us with the tracking number."
Good choice of working with a long time established transaction company. :thumb:

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Simple. Take the "ring" to a gun shop and let them broker the exchange. They'll make sure the "ring" is registered correctly so you won't be liable should the "ring" ever be used for nefarious purposes. :)
I like!
Funny how some people pick things up. I'm not one of them, it takes me days....[emoji7]

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unbelievable! I am [almost] the victim of PayPal fraud. No record of the transaction when I go to my PayPal account.
Received text from buyer saying she received it. Called FedEx and they said it was undelivered. ??? They were going to try again on Monday.

I requested that it be returned to me.

How to know if you are reading an email from PayPal? They will use your real name. This email used my email address because that is all they had.
I have to admit I was sloppy in not noticing that the email spoofed "From: service@paypal.com". On Tuesday or Wednesday we will know how it turned out.

Shipped to: Cheryl Whitehead
ADDRESS: 343 County road 4020
CITY: DAYTON
STATE: TEXAS
ZIP CODE:77535

Payment [supposedly] sent by Tammy Alarcon?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, when it comes to selling something online to a stranger--especially one who lives out of state--I would always use an online auctioneer with a proven track record.

Top Bottom