• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hypermiling Mods For The Elio

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tried googling this. I'm now more confused by the description than the original terms... What does this do?

I've heard this said before about golf ball dimples increasing gas mileage, and I believe mythbusters did an episode around that, but I didn't get that episode unfortunately. Is this actually legitimate?

Good idea for some. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me, as I'll be moving to Alaska and I need all the traction wider snow tires can provide.

It does beg the question though, can golf ball dimples be made attractive?

The golf ball dimples likely only work on a rotating object, but I'm not 100% sure. I HAVE seen experiments with micro imperfections similar to shark's skin that helps maintain laminar (smooth) airflow.

Aircraft and engine manufacturers have developed a system where the skin is perforated and a suction is applied to help control the laminar flow. You can see the installation on jet engine intakes and sometimes the vertical stabilizer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/A380-trent900.JPG

Not really useful, honestly due on an auto due to weight, complexity, not enough airflow to be useful, critters and dirt in the holes, etc

Best solution would be the shark skin. it's passive and requires no additional systems.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The golf ball dimples likely only work on a rotating object, but I'm not 100% sure. I HAVE seen experiments with micro imperfections similar to shark's skin that helps maintain laminar (smooth) airflow.

Aircraft and engine manufacturers have developed a system where the skin is perforated and a suction is applied to help control the laminar flow. You can see the installation on jet engine intakes and sometimes the vertical stabilizer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/A380-trent900.JPG

Not really useful, honestly due on an auto due to weight, complexity, not enough airflow to be useful, critters and dirt in the holes, etc

Best solution would be the shark skin. it's passive and requires no additional systems.
http://fastskinz.com/wordpress/

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Golf ball dimples give me an idea for aa wrap - just insert favorite ball manufacturer"s logo . . . Or favorite tournament. Get players' autographs.

Sharkskin might have a couple of other benefits too - I've worn sharkskin boots that, while they can't be shined, are pretty close to indestructible. They won't scuff, cut, or tear - an insurance company's dream. Add that P-40 shark mouth and maybe a fin . . .

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like a 15% reduction of drag even at low speeds.
That's kick enough for me.

(Elio engineers take notice!)

Edit, according to their documents:
FastSkinz’ MPG-Plus™ improves ICE vehicles MPG by 15%-20% and 35%-42% for
HEVs and PHEVs

If this is even a little true, then WOW!!

Last edited:

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sceptical that dimples will reduce drag.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...ke-dimples-wont-improve-fuel-efficiency-1314/ A 2009 article on the subject.

Dimples on a golf ball are engineered to control Ball Spin and Trajectory. (I'm not an engineer) For instance, deeper dimples will increase trajectory and swallow dimples the opposite. Fewer dimples increase surface area combined with shallow dimples produces higher trajectory. Golf ball companies control what they want the ball to do by design of the dimples and depth..

You don't see race cars with dimples on it. They want the car to be slick to slice thru the air and with wings or slitters and spoilers they produce downforce.

JMHO

Top Bottom