• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Love News Reports Like This

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"Karen Dolley could not believe her eyes when she woke up Friday morning to find an intruder standing right in the hallway of her Indianapolis home.

Dolley told WXIN she did whatever she could to keep protect herself. The woman, who just happened to be trained in medieval combat, immediately started throwing punches.

"I could see the guy standing right about here and I just came out of the bathroom and started punching get out, get out, get out," Dolley told WXIN.

The intruder realized quickly he was messing with the wrong woman.

"He was trying to deflect my punches with his hands," Dolley said of the man after about 10 hits.

That's when Dolley grabbed her large Japanese fighting sword. She held the 440C stainless steel combat sword to his neck while she called cops.

"I just held the knife down on him like this while he was on the floor, and I was calling 911 with the other hand," the 43-year-old said.

Indianapolis police identified the intruder as Jacob Wessel, 30. After taking him into custody, authorities then transported Wessel to the hospital and subsequently arrested him.

"He was so out of it," Dolley said."

pictures available at this link

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew about a couple of these, but not all of them. I'm sure there are others that have never been reported.
Pretty sad, youth of today have no clue on how to do a lot of the basic skills we grew up with .

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I knew about a couple of these, but not all of them. I'm sure there are others that have never been reported.
Pretty sad, youth of today have no clue on how to do a lot of the basic skills we grew up with .

I only picked the first few that my search "carjackers foiled by stick shift" came up with.
Who would have thought when starting from a dead stop on a hill was a part of the driving test that it would stop criminal activity someday?

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. I brought home a new car a couple weeks ago (hence my new avatar) with a 6 speed manual in it. Had to drive 2 hrs. just to find a dealership that even had one in stock. My son is 9 now, and this will be his 1st car. He WILL learn to drive a manual, or walk! I think that is something that is important to know. I can drive them, my wife can drive them, and he'll have several years of riding in one to see what's done, and know what it is supposed to feel and sound like.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DWR, Yes, see what's being done, providing he's paying attention and doesn't have his mind on girls and eyes on some electronic device. By the time your son is ready to drive autonomous cars may be the norm. LOL

Some youth of today deserve credit they are not all bozos. It sounds like you will provide your Son a valuable life long driving skill. He will have the experience and fun of actually driving acar. Way to go DWR!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The driving school my daughter had to attend to get her learners permit (she has a driver's license now) required that she learn to drive a stick shift. So, new Mexico has options for families who don't currently have a stick shift. (My bike is the only manual we have right now)

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DWR, Yes, see what's being done, providing he's paying attention and doesn't have his mind on girls and eyes on some electronic device. By the time your son is ready to drive autonomous cars may be the norm. LOL

Some youth of today deserve credit they are not all bozos. It sounds like you will provide your Son a valuable life long driving skill. He will have the experience and fun of actually driving acar. Way to go DWR!
Thanks Rick. I don't have to worry about girls yet. Boys don't like girls YET in the third grade at his school. Yeah, I know that will change soon, but electronics are a different story.
Thankfully, this car is loaded with them. Navigation, voice recognition, Bluetooth, shift point indicator, back up camera, and a lot of things my old self doesn't understand.....yet. It even has a 115V recepticle (I wanted to plug up a toaster so I could cook breakfast on the way to work. Was told it was probably for a laptop. Bummer)! But it is a driving skill that you should know. What if you ever found yourself in an emergency situation, and the only vehichle you have access to is a manual? Anyway, thanks for your "Way to go DWR!". It is appreciated. :biggrin1:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Karen Dolley could not believe her eyes when she woke up Friday morning to find an intruder standing right in the hallway of her Indianapolis home.

Dolley told WXIN she did whatever she could to keep protect herself. The woman, who just happened to be trained in medieval combat, immediately started throwing punches.

"I could see the guy standing right about here and I just came out of the bathroom and started punching get out, get out, get out," Dolley told WXIN.

The intruder realized quickly he was messing with the wrong woman.

"He was trying to deflect my punches with his hands," Dolley said of the man after about 10 hits.

That's when Dolley grabbed her large Japanese fighting sword. She held the 440C stainless steel combat sword to his neck while she called cops.

"I just held the knife down on him like this while he was on the floor, and I was calling 911 with the other hand," the 43-year-old said.

Indianapolis police identified the intruder as Jacob Wessel, 30. After taking him into custody, authorities then transported Wessel to the hospital and subsequently arrested him.

"He was so out of it," Dolley said."

pictures available at this link
In California, she would have been arrested for the deadly weapon (the sword). When it comes to weapons, I am more afraid of California laws than I am of weapons or intruders. California is a state in touch with its feminine side. I get the impression, Texas is a state in touch with its masculine side. (I live in California)

Top Bottom