• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Road In The News Again

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great video, thanks for posting. Sure does look like a fun vehicle. That video shows exactly why the i-Road can (will?) succeed in Europe, and conversely why it will be challenging to succeed in the U.S. Its very slim cross section, perfect for European roads, is the very antithesis of the typical widebody American vehicle.

Both the i-Road and Elio have their work cut out for them.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Toyota i-Road
Range: 50km (31 miles)
Speed: 45kph (28mph)
Powerplant: Dual 2kw hub motors, lithium-ion battery
Price: estimated $10,000 - $12,000

Chinese Enclosed Electric Trike found on Alibaba
Range: 80-120km (49-62 miles)
Speed: 35kph (21mph)
Powerplant: single 1.5kw motor (rear axle), lead-acid batteries
Price: $1,000 + shipping

I think it would be folly to fully trust the stats found on Alibaba (kinda like trusting a used car on craigslist "strong runner, good transmission!") but these sort of numbers seem to be average for what I've seen across the board.

I'm not trying to say that buying some random Chinese product is going to be on par with something Toyota could produce, and I doubt this trike is DOT approved for the US market anyways. But my point is, the technology is getting so cheap thanks to Chinese mass-production that I believe we will start seeing more products like the i-Road hitting the market, and at significantly better prices than we're currently seeing.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
SO WHEN IN THE USA?????
Toyota completed their Open Road Project last summer. 10 i-Roads shared for daily driving by 100 participants from ordinary members of the public to experts and trendsetters. Their feedback is aimed at developing the final product. I anticipate the next Gen Production Prototype coming sometime in 2016. The good thing about Toyota is that once it's production ready............they can move it into their production cycle quickly.

Toyota has also been sponsoring test drives and workshops in the USA to see how the I-Road would adapt to crowded USA Urban Streets.

Didn't answer your question, but I hope soon.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great video, thanks for posting. Sure does look like a fun vehicle. That video shows exactly why the i-Road can (will?) succeed in Europe, and conversely why it will be challenging to succeed in the U.S. Its very slim cross section, perfect for European roads, is the very antithesis of the typical widebody American vehicle.

Both the i-Road and Elio have their work cut out for them.
The i-Road demographic in the USA is geared specifically to the big city high traffic congested markets. The auto scooter EV would be blast to drive, FUNctional commuter in my personal downtown/city living environment.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, except I don't think the i-Road is being marketed to the masses as a motorcycle.
Toyota's marketing strategy for the i-Road:
image.jpeg

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like a blast to drive. I'd love to try one. However, I have essentially no use for one. Just about the only place I drive alone is an 84-mile round-trip to work, mostly on highways of one form or another. Stuff like this, though, looks fun enough to make me wish I had a use for it. :)

Top Bottom