• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

If Oil Prices Rose, Would Elio Rise With Them?

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently one problem with autonomous vehicles is making the human calculations that might be a little outside of legal, and make autonomous anticipation impossible. i never used cruise control in hilly, or especially mountainous, areas because the CC was always close to 'behind the power curve' going up unanticipated hills, the car was always playing 'catch up.' CC only is really energy efficient on long flat roads. even the new technology is apparently incapable of factoring upcoming hills...

Last edited:

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently one problem with autonomous vehicles is making the human calculations that might be a little outside of legal, and make autonomous anticipation impossible. i never used cruise control in hilly, or especially mountainous, areas because the CC was always close to 'behind the power curve' going up unanticipated hills, the car was always playing 'catch up.' CC only is really energy efficient on long flat roads. even the new technology is apparently incapable of factoring upcoming hills...

Cruise control causes the transmission to shift down to maintain speed on hills. If you
gain a little speed on downhills you can back off going up hills and keep the vehicle in top gear. You are a pain in the ass if there is traffic behind you but you get much better mileage.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hills in DC? Sorry, I don't think of that area as very hilly, those are tiny compared to the west coast.
And CC works quite well here, you just give a tap or two when you see a hill coming up, and a tap or two on the downhill side.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently one problem with autonomous vehicles is making the human calculations that might be a little outside of legal, and make autonomous anticipation impossible.

Um.... What? That makes no sense.

i never used cruise control in hilly, or especially mountainous, areas because the CC was always close to 'behind the power curve' going up unanticipated hills, the car was always playing 'catch up.' CC only is really energy efficient on long flat roads. even the new technology is apparently incapable of factoring upcoming hills...

Cruise Control operates on engine RPM and not much else.
The calculations for Level 5 self driving is about 6 orders of magnitude greater than needed for CC

Top Bottom