• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

"i'm Afraid They Won't See Me." Whine, Whine.....

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you go to motorcycle after market you can buy led lights that make it impossible not to see you and they can change colors
Most of the time, thankfully, people will see you, but that doesn't account for those who crash into buildings, very large, well lite rigs and parked cars.
There is something about our optic nerves, that when we "look" for cars, we sometimes can't "see" smaller (motorcycles/bicycles/pedestrians ) -moving objects

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Married? If so, you'll relate to this. You know how it is when the wife gets an idea in her head and no matter how you try to reason with her you couldn't blast it out with dynamite?

In my case a main reason I want an Elio is to reduce the miles she puts on her Xterra. (Just this afternoon she's driveing it 100 miles round trip to spend a couple of days with the grand kids!) My theory is, it's better to spend $8,000 now on the Elio than to spend $30,000 on a new SUV after she's worn out the Xterra. Of course this theory only works if she'll actually drive the Elio.

"People won't see me.", "they'll run over me." "they'll hit me from behind.", "They'll hit me from the side.", "they'll change lanes into me.", "they'll run over my front wheels" etc., etc..... I've heard just about everything except they'll fall on the roof.

So, here's the thing. How do I make an Elio more visible to other drivers? I don't feel the front and side views are a problem, it's the view from the rear that's the weak spot. The only things I've come up with so far is an LED light bar above the top of the hatch which comes on with the brake lights and some reflective tape on the rear end and the backs of the fenders. Tape looks bad but might help (see image). If any of you have a good idea I would love to hear it. Of course, coming up with an idea is only half the battle, next I'll have to convince the wife. :argue: Thanks much.

Elio4_08.jpg

LED above the deck is good. I would like LEDs on the rear of the fenders. No tape on the rear. It has tail lights. No tape on the fender skirt.

Just my preference.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most of the time, thankfully, people will see you, but that doesn't account for those who crash into buildings, very large, well lite rigs and parked cars.
There is something about our optic nerves, that when we "look" for cars, we sometimes can't "see" smaller (motorcycles/bicycles/pedestrians ) -moving objects
You are right. It is called Microvision and Macrovision. When the eye is "shifting" there is about .8 Sec That you are blinded to Micro. It is as though it is not there. I learned this in a Cognitive Psychology lab experiment. It is dumbfounding to realize that you cannot see what you know to be there.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LED above the deck is good. I would like LEDs on the rear of the fenders. No tape on the rear. It has tail lights. No tape on the fender skirt.

Just my preference.
I had tried to explain it to the pedestrian I hit, but when he was l[=
You are right. It is called Microvision and Macrovision. When the eye is "shifting" there is about .8 Sec That you are blinded to Micro. It is as though it is not there. I learned this in a Cognitive Psychology lab experiment. It is dumbfounding to realize that you cannot see what you know to be there.
Thanks I tried to explain it to the pedestrian I knocked down, but he just wouldn't, or just maybe couldn't , accept my explanation

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had tried to explain it to the pedestrian I hit, but when he was l[=
Thanks I tried to explain it to the pedestrian I knocked down, but he just wouldn't, or just maybe couldn't , accept my explanation

I once hit a pedestrian and he said "Are you blind ?". I replied "I hit you, didn't I ?" :doh:

Top Bottom