• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Impact Of World Events

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More money changes hands in oil and gas in one day than in the stock market for an entire month. What that mean is that Oil is the real coin of the realm and is decidedly more important than other commodities. Fuel is just too important to be tampered with openly by politicians. At least not without some serious consequences that is. Coal also fits this definition of critical need so much so that the President is psychotic to think that he can regulate coal to extinction. Both the huge supply and the scientifically provable power density of Coal Gas and Diesel is in completely contrary to all the political hype and junk science perpetrated by unscrupulous politicians. This virtually assures these energies long time use way into the future. Unless the public dumbs down enough to buy the political hype.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you think the current turmoil in the middle-east will provide the impetus to assure production of the high mpg Elio?

I've been pondering this for quite some time. Paul Elio has been quoted at the gas prices in 2008 inspired him to take action and design the Elio as we know it.

We are in a relatively stable time and we are paying $3.50-$4.00/gallon and have become used to it. Instability in the Mid-East is here to stay and can become a regional conflict in an instant. Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Iran, and Israel can be pulled into this conflict or things could settle down. China and Japan (and thus USA) seem destined to fight along with several other conflicts that can interfere with economies and energy production.
(see Malacca Straight)

Fun Fact:
the difference between an oil shortage and an oil glut is 3%.
I don't see a sudden overabundance of oil and regional stability in the near future. The past 6 months? That's as stable as it gets. This IS the good life. $3.50 is your paradise.

Instability with energy prices means investment in Elio Motors.
What will your savings be at $4.50/gal? We've been there before.

Will the instability assure production? No. It might help though.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We seem to remember gas at 27¢/gal, but back in 1968, you could get a good new car for under $3200 too.
I was working at a California gas station in the early 60's and we would often sell gas for 5 gallons for $1 and this included full service (cleaning the windshield, headlights, checking the oil and water, battery water, and tire pressure). I think those days are gone forever.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was working at a California gas station in the early 60's and we would often sell gas for 5 gallons for $1 and this included full service (cleaning the windshield, headlights, checking the oil and water, battery water, and tire pressure). I think those days are gone forever.
My Dad owned a 'full service' Texaco Service Station back then...........so I too spent many hours pumping .30 per gal full service gas. However, in those good ole days minimum wage was $1.25 per hr. and the average yearly income $5800......and I was driving my first economy car..............a '59 VW for optimal MPGs.......Beetlemania.

I will purchase my second economy car sometime in 2016...............the Elio..........Eliomania.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We seem to remember gas at 27¢/gal, but back in 1968, you could get a good new car for under $3200 too.
Keep in mind that minimum wage was $1.25/hour and the average yearly income was $5800. The Elio target price would have probably been well under a $1000 as a new Caddy was about $5800.

Note: Average 2013 household income was $51,000 and a new 2013 Caddy XTS was from $44,500.

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Dad owned a 'full service' Texaco Service Station back then...........so I too spent many hours pumping .30 per gal full service gas. However, in those good ole days minimum wage was $1.25 per hr. and the average yearly income $5800......and I was driving my first economy car..............a '59 VW for optimal MPGs.......Beetlemania.

I will purchase my second economy car sometime in 2016...............the Elio..........Eliomania.
Hope to purchase mine (Elio) in the fall of 2015!!!!!!!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hope to purchase mine (Elio) in the fall of 2015!!!!!!!!
I don't think mine will roll off the line until mid 2016. I hope yours is well broken by the time I get mine and you have reported back best ride ever! I'm thinking the start up Elio's in Q4 2015 will technically be first year Model 2016 Elio's.

Top Bottom