• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Informative Video

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree with your assessment. It happened to me as well, it's sensory overload trying to take everything in.
Part of that probably has something to do with not driving it, so focusing on the dash isn't as important. Once test drives begin, that will most likely change for those without sharp eyesight.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hadn't realized until I watched Paul's speech, that the engineering vehicles were being physically handed over to the supplier partners for testing. This makes a lot of sense, rather than EM doing everything in-house, but it's just not something I thought about.
Me either. I kind of envisioned Elio doing all the tests with the various suppliers "helping" them. I had no idea that Continental, for instance, would be taking an Elio somewhere to do testing. Now, we KNOW the E1A isn't complete yet. I wonder how much more complete it will have to be before they turn it over to Continental. Another question - I saw they had a fake radio in there. Will it go from Continental to whoever is going to crash test them? They need to get that done soon. Changes to engineering or frame need to happen before they get TOO Many more of them made. They won't be able to "fix" anything that comes up if they wait till the end to crash them.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One way or another, all of the E-Series will be crushed when testing is done :(
They don't have VIN Tags, and most will not be street legal.
Others won't even be a whole vehicle.
I wonder how long they can stretch out testing?
Frankly, that sounds preposterous to me. Will they crush the prototypes, too? VIN is not a showstopper, or even strictly necessary--it's only required for production vehicles intended for use on public roads. Same with any "street legal" proscriptions.
I don't see any of the vehicles being crushed except those slated for destructive testing.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even the destructively tested ones may still be saved. It's often good engineering practice to hold onto hardware evidence of crash test results. Those tests are expensive and there's almost always something new to be learned from reviewing the test hardware from different perspectives in future design efforts.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see any of the vehicles being crushed except those slated for destructive testing.

One word: Lawyers.

The prototypes will be saved for historic value, if Elio succeeds. They will remain property of Elio.

The pre-production test mules (E series) that are of no historic value will be crushed because storing them costs money, and there are too many scumbag lawyers in the world to allow them to be sold or even given to the public. Elio's lawyers will not allow that. Same as every other vehicle company.

Q: What do you call a busload of lawyers at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay?
A: A good start! ;)

Top Bottom