• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Insurance Costs? (egads!) Another Can Of Worms!

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While at the NAIAS show last weekend in Detroit, I asked a Harley Davidson motorcycle dealer, located downstairs, what a ballpark figure was to insure a medium sized motorcycle that they had on display. He couldn't give me an exact answer, but he said for that model (he owned 4 different ones by the way) it would be between $100 and $200 a YEAR to insure. Well, that made my day! He told me his yearly expense for his 4 motorcycles was $420! If the Elio can be classified as a motorcycle, or slightly higher, this would be a doable equation for me. Any thoughts?

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While at the NAIAS show last weekend in Detroit, I asked a Harley Davidson motorcycle dealer, located downstairs, what a ballpark figure was to insure a medium sized motorcycle that they had on display. He couldn't give me an exact answer, but he said for that model (he owned 4 different ones by the way) it would be between $100 and $200 a YEAR to insure. Well, that made my day! He told me his yearly expense for his 4 motorcycles was $420! If the Elio can be classified as a motorcycle, or slightly higher, this would be a doable equation for me. Any thoughts?
That's pretty much exactly what my agent at Liberty Mutual said. After he did a little research on the Elio he said it would be the same as my motorcycle $120/yr and that includes 12 seasons and a passenger.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I expect insurance to be reasonable of not cheap just because of the total price of the vehicle regardless of car, autocycle or motorcycle classification.

My thoughts exactly. Replacement cost would be squat compared to pretty much anything on the road, and most insurance companies won't want to jack with fixing or replacing cracked body panels. Looks like I need to buy some property for an Elio only junkyard. I'll give you a good deal on a low-mileage Elgin dash assembly. ;)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Insuring an Elio won't have much in common with motorcycles. Why would it? Insurance isn't set by category but rather actuary tables. They will charge whatever they need to make a profit. If Elios are high theft, expect rates to go up. If the Elio is salvageable after a 5mph bump, expect rates to go up. The fact that the Elio is less expensive to buy new thAn most motorcycles AND the fact that they will be inherently safer means they COULD be less expensive than motorcycle insurance. The number of miles per year being the only place where a motorcycle would come out ahead...

Insure a motorcycle for $400 per year covers the 2-5k miles it will travel.
Insure a less expensive, safer Elio for 15k miles will cost how much? 3 times the miles, 10 times as safe.

Top Bottom