• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Elio Being Ignored By Mainstream Auto Industry Press?

Paul Heitzman

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen an article in Automobile, R&T, or Motor Trend. Has anyone seen an article in any of the major auto magazine?

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Suspect you have to be an advertiser(big) in those mags to warrant recognition and even then , the write ups reflect personal opinion !!RB

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Once the car is in production and warrants them dedicating a page to it and if they feel that that page will contribute to magazine sales in some way, then we will see articles. The Aptera was very developed, but never sold one. There were numerous articles in esoteric 'green' magazines and in the "X" challenge, but few mentions of its existence in the mainstream offerings. It will happen, especially after I drive mine to the Mid-Ohio Raceway track and suddenly there is a controversy as to whether it should be allowed during an automotive event or, as legally classified, restricted to motorcycle activities. The motorcyclists will object, and rightfully so, to something racing with them that isn't a motorcycle. I will object if they won't allow me to use it for an High Performance Driving School practice as I see it to be a car. It will take these kind of challenges to get the state legislatures activated to revise obsolete automotive classification laws.

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lately I've been searching automobile periodicals (past and current) for anything on the remarkable, beautiful, and, exciting three wheeled vehicle on the horizon.
That promises transportation to so many, that otherwise, might have to do without.
I can understand the major car-makers not wanting the competition, but why the automobile magazines won't report the happenings of Elio Motors Inc. puzzles me.
It seems, if the word was spread to the masses, we'd have a lot more reservations.
Can anyone explain the politics of the automobile industry, to help me to understand the exclusion of the Elio? Does GM, Ford, Toyota, etc. have control over what they print?
Or, at this stage in the game, is The Elio just "not so important"?:(

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lately I've been searching automobile periodicals (past and current) for anything on the remarkable, beautiful, and, exciting three wheeled vehicle on the horizon.
That promises transportation to so many, that otherwise, might have to do without.
I can understand the major car-makers not wanting the competition, but why the automobile magazines won't report the happenings of Elio Motors Inc. puzzles me.
It seems, if the word was spread to the masses, we'd have a lot more reservations.
Can anyone explain the politics of the automobile industry, to help me to understand the exclusion of the Elio? Does GM, Ford, Toyota, etc. have control over what they print?
Or, at this stage in the game, is The Elio just "not so important"?:(
The answer to your question is elementary really...automobile magazine can't write/report anything if they're not provided the car to test with, right? It's not even in production yet! Be patience because once everything is tested and after they arrived on hopefully the "production" version, then I guarantee you reviews will be out there for all to see! make sense?

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The answer to your question is elementary really...automobile magazine can't write/report anything if they're not provided the car to test with, right? It's not even in production yet! Be patience because once everything is tested and after they arrived on hopefully the "production" version, then I guarantee you reviews will be out there for all to see! make sense?
Thanks, jetpack, it makes sense, but they are not even talking about any of the
events we read about in the forums. I guess i'm just looking for the recognition.

Last edited:

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I think that the main reason nobody is getting to drive and they are not doing any evals, is because the cars that are rolling are built using other
manufacturers sub assemblies or components... Until the P4 came along, even the suspension components were Geo... Commentary on a prototype may not be good for the end result...
Even the engine,, altho engineered and tested in larger displacement configurations, is going to be downsized for this application and needs to have some time to be checked out in the production configuration.... Lots left to do...
I think getting too many dreamers involved too soon, is the first mistake (if there are any mistakes made) on the promo of this scheme/dream..
I have been thru this once before in my life with BD aircraft, and the public overwhelmed that project,, and the result was 7 fatalities because it was rushed.

Go Elio
JS

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that the main reason nobody is getting to drive and they are not doing any evals, is because the cars that are rolling are built using other
manufacturers sub assemblies or components... Until the P4 came along, even the suspension components were Geo... Commentary on a prototype may not be good for the end result...
Even the engine,, altho engineered and tested in larger displacement configurations, is going to be downsized for this application and needs to have some time to be checked out in the production configuration.... Lots left to do...
I think getting too many dreamers involved too soon, is the first mistake (if there are any mistakes made) on the promo of this scheme/dream..
I have been thru this once before in my life with BD aircraft, and the public overwhelmed that project,, and the result was 7 fatalities because it was rushed.

Go Elio
JS
We can't have that! Elio Motors are in so much pressure trying to deliver on their promise and I can only assume how hard it is specially in keeping with the $6,800. base price. The longer it takes for them to actually produce the more expensive the raw materials gets to keep up with inflation.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, jetpack, it makes sense, but they are not even talking about any of the
events we read about in the forums. I guess i'm just looking for the recognition.
I guess it's a lot harder for those who actually get to see it up close! I'm still waiting for them to update their next venue to showcase the car.

Top Bottom