• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is Elio Still Saying Mid 2016 To Start Production?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The official line from EM is still "Q4 2016". But when we look at production time and the fact that I am sooo far back on the reservation queue, I'm not expecting to personally take delivery of my Elio until sometime in early 2017.
And once they show that they are in production, how many others will "cut" / jump in line?

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And once they show that they are in production, how many others will "cut" / jump in line?

It will be interesting indeed to see how the whole beginning of production of vehicles will be delivered. I'm sure that there will be plenty of early SIL's that can't make it to Shreveport to pick their Elio's up in person. How will they handle the shuffling of those vs those that can?

We have not had the opportunity to see it in person yet, but know I want one. We are close enough to where we would take a weekend trip to Shreveport to test drive one to figure out the option list and such before actually getting to order one.

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
TBH I don't expect to see production until 2018 at the earliest. That's based on mostly the funding issues but also with the time it took them to get the P5 together (barely). The P5 was in rough shape, pretty, but you could tell that it was a rush rush job. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just more a realist than a dreamer.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
TBH I don't expect to see production until 2018 at the earliest. That's based on mostly the funding issues but also with the time it took them to get the P5 together (barely). The P5 was in rough shape, pretty, but you could tell that it was a rush rush job. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just more a realist than a dreamer.
Personally I think if EM doesn't get to production this year (meaning they secure funding for production and Comau starts putting the line together) it's unlikely that they'll have the capital to continue, so if EM isn't selling to non-reservation holders in 2018 they won't be selling to anyone. Did you catch the comments from EM that P5 was assembled and disassembled several times before LA Auto Show? Kind of like EM has been saying for months, that they need to work out fitment and build procedure for the engineering vehicles using P5. Just sayin. ;)

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Care to go into detail on how you knew it was in rough shape? I do think it will take a miracle if they really do roll out at the end of the year.

I understand it was just for the show but 2 exhausts, panels are on temporarily, pedals aren't right, battery placement, and on and on. From what I've read the team that is working on it....it's their business. Just expected a bit more than a slap together I guess. We'll see if they've managed to get rid of the rear exhaust for the next show and fiddled with the pedals. I don't expect a production ready vehicle. It is after all a prototype. Don't know if there were just too many changes or things didn't arrive on time but it looked like a hurried mess.

(edit) It looked like some of the network cabling jobs that I spec out when they don't wait for all of the materials to be delivered 1st or they are running out of time.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand it was just for the show but 2 exhausts, panels are on temporarily, pedals aren't right, battery placement, and on and on. From what I've read the team that is working on it....it's their business. Just expected a bit more than a slap together I guess. We'll see if they've managed to get rid of the rear exhaust for the next show and fiddled with the pedals. I don't expect a production ready vehicle. It is after all a prototype. Don't know if there were just too many changes or things didn't arrive on time but it looked like a hurried mess.

(edit) It looked like some of the network cabling jobs that I spec out when they don't wait for all of the materials to be delivered 1st or they are running out of time.
Pssssst.....

1133_Audi_eSpyder_model_3.jpg

I heard these clay cars don't have tail lights that work, and don't even have engines in them, friggin Bavarians. :boink:

tumblr_mvcfy95mDd1rdzuduo1_1280.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally I think if EM doesn't get to production this year (meaning they secure funding for production and Comau starts putting the line together) it's unlikely that they'll have the capital to continue, so if EM isn't selling to non-reservation holders in 2018 they won't be selling to anyone. Did you catch the comments from EM that P5 was assembled and disassembled several times before LA Auto Show? Kind of like EM has been saying for months, that they need to work out fitment and build procedure for the engineering vehicles using P5. Just sayin. ;)
I personally think the Elio timeline to production this year is impossible even if the funding was in the bank. The SEC Filing Documents stated March 2017 schedule to production is more likely to be the earliest and more realistically Q4 2017 which works for me. After that time it's unlikely they will have capital to pay interest on the debt and fines, although you may be right on your 2016 Elio or Bust prediction.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally think the Elio timeline to production this year is impossible even if the funding was in the bank. The SEC Filing Documents stated March 2017 schedule to production is more likely to be the earliest and more realistically Q4 2017 which works for me. After that time it's unlikely they will have capital to pay interest on the debt and fines, although you may be right on your 2016 Elio or Bust prediction.
Did you read what Ekh reported back from the show at Detroit? They are on track and doing everything humanly possible for go into production Q4 of this year 2016 and that they will meet it. This comes directly from the people at Elio Motors; not some rumor, hunch, gut feeling and hearsay. So your assumption of March 2017 or Q4 2017 is incorrect.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you read what Ekh reported back from the show at Detroit? They are on track and doing everything humanly possible for go into production Q4 of this year 2016 and that they will meet it. This comes directly from the people at Elio Motors; not some rumor, hunch, gut feeling and hearsay. So your assumption of March 2017 or Q4 2017 is incorrect.
The real question is.... will the stock appreciate in value quick enough, that I'll be able to unload some of it to pay for my Elio when my SIL comes up? Or am I being over confident? :bolt:

Top Bottom