• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is The Elio A Mutated Chevy Metro?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At least it looks like a lot (not only the current "mule" motor, gages, etc.) has been morphed and inpired by at least the general ideas of the metro.
Elio Amazed, welcome to the forum. Using the forum search function you will be able to see that the Elio is not a morphed Metro. Currently the prototypes are using a Metro engine until IAV finishes the development of the real Elio drive train. The Elio is unique and represents a historic change in transportation technology. Members of the forum are helpful and friendly so welcome again. We look forward to your comments and contributions. Enjoy the journey to Elio ownership and the Elio experience.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At least it looks like a lot (not only the current "mule" motor, gages, etc.) has been morphed and inpired by at least the general ideas of the metro.
I heard a report about fashion this weekend that claimed there is really nothing new under the sun. I suspect the same is true with vehicles. I feel the Elio is truly unique but that does not preclude it from having taken ideas from other vehicles from the past. Rearranging those ideas into the Elio is what makes it a unique vehicle and worth the risk we take supporting it. I am delighted that I am around to enjoy this adventure and all it includes (including set backs). What a wonderful experience it is proving to be. I hope you also enjoy the adventure. Next year in our Elios! :-) Z

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I heard a report about fashion this weekend that claimed there is really nothing new under the sun. I suspect the same is true with vehicles. I feel the Elio is truly unique but that does not preclude it from having taken ideas from other vehicles from the past.. . :) Z

I tend to agree with that. Fact of the matter except for the case of outright duplication, obtuse similarity is just like beauty, it's in the eyes of the beholder, or maybe eyes of the jury. All vehicles are inspired by prior vehicles, can't avoid that. All good by me.

Take the case of the Veepster. It looked just exactly like a traditional jeep, except there were 5 slots in the grill rather than 7 (or the reverse?). Well, that and the VW pan/engine sticking out in places. In his case, I know he -wanted- to look like a clone.

For me the Elio looks as much like my 2007 Prius as it does the Metro. But that's just MY eyes talkin.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is a small car. It's only practical that EM would use small parts.
Paul did not look at a Metro and say, lets turn this into an Elio. It was more like, hay, let's make a small car, what shi- parts do we have laying around we can use to save money. JMO

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Amazed, welcome to the forum and I consider the Elio to be the modern Metro but higher quality thanks to modern technology. If you have any Geo Metro questions (which became the Chevy Metro later) just contact our board member Horn.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks nothing like a Metro, nothing at all. Looks like light years from a Metro. Sure, the engine is borrowed but that's just to show off the body. That's what we're supposed to pay attention to. The body, the seat configuration, sleek lines, three wheels. We're not supposed to pay any attention to the prototype's old crappy engine, the old crappy dash, the placeholder steering wheel, HVAC controls, wiper, seats, etc. All that stuff will change! It will all be new and beautiful and fit like a glove when production starts.

Top Bottom