• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jalopnik Article On Elio May 1,17

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So... I want my Elio as much as anyone else here does.
I don't have an opinion on the article one way or another.
Jalopnik needed more clicks so they published the article.

I am curious about how everything has changed... again.
How it went from 22 E-Series left to go plus 100 fleet vehicles...
To a completely new plan of 158 S-Series pre-production vehicles.

Someone please wake me from this nightmare.

"Here there be monsters..."
Wow, this is something new to me too!

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Jalopnik's journalistic integrity. Last fall their parent company, Gawker Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after losing a huge $31M lawsuit to "Hulk Hogan" in a steamy sex scandal that became an extortion case. Now they've recently been scooped up by Univision, but their editorial policy seems to have remained immature. They have a long reputation as more of a supermarket rag-mag than a knowledgeable source.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was quoting from the SEC report where they said they needed the $33 Million to start the production process at the Shreveport Plant.
Let me also quote from that document...
"At this point, we need to build and test additional prototypes and kick-off long lead production equipment and hard tooling. With
most of the development risks addressed, we need to raise additional capital estimated at $376 million to fund production activities.
We refined our production plans with suppliers to start commercial production on a 76-week schedule, to commence with funding of at least $33 million."

To me that's pretty clear that the first STEP of a 76-week schedule is obtaining funds of $33 million.
In other words, all they're saying is without an additional $33M, they can't even START to tool up, let alone built 158 additional S-vehicles.
And that the big switch won't be thrown on the production line until they have the entire $376 million invested into that schedule.

$376M minus $33M = $343M. It sounds to me that if the $343M doesn't follow the $33M, what they'll have is a wasted $33M...
And nothing but a small dent made in the tooling process. You made it sound like $33 million is going to tool the plant and get them p-ready.
Based on their track record, IMO, as soon as they get their hands on more funding, EM will start hemorrhaging money again.
Right or wrong, if I see it that way, you can betcha that deep pocket investors are going to see it that way too.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let me also quote from that document...
"At this point, we need to build and test additional prototypes and kick-off long lead production equipment and hard tooling. With
most of the development risks addressed, we need to raise additional capital estimated at $376 million to fund production activities.
We refined our production plans with suppliers to start commercial production on a 76-week schedule, to commence with funding of at least $33 million."

To me that's pretty clear that the first STEP of a 76-week schedule is obtaining funds of $33 million.
In other words, all they're saying is without an additional $33M, they can't even START to tool up, let alone built 158 additional S-vehicles.
And that the big switch won't be thrown on the production line until they have the entire $376 million invested into that schedule.

$376M minus $33M = $343M. It sounds to me that if the $343M doesn't follow the $33M, what they'll have is a wasted $33M...
And nothing but a small dent made in the tooling process. You made it sound like $33 million is going to tool the plant and get them p-ready.
Based on their track record, IMO, as soon as they get their hands on more funding, EM will start hemorrhaging money again.
Right or wrong, if I see it that way, you can betcha that deep pocket investors are going to see it that way too.
No, no, no. I didn't intend to indicate that I thought $33M would get the plant production-ready. I just meant that the 76 week timeline doesn't start until they get that first $33M. I agree with what you posted.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Jalopnik's journalistic integrity. Last fall their parent company, Gawker Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after losing a huge $31M lawsuit to "Hulk Hogan" in a steamy sex scandal that became an extortion case. Now they've recently been scooped up by Univision, but their editorial policy seems to have remained immature. They have a long reputation as more of a supermarket rag-mag than a knowledgeable source.

Summed up perfectly.

They've always been anti- Elio.

Reactions: Ekh
Top Bottom