• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some people may have physical limitations that preclude them from taking a motorcycle class - even an easy one. I have a 20 mile commute and take my motorcycle when I can (like today) but I can see where people wouldn't want to have to bother with getting a different license.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some people may have physical limitations that preclude them from taking a motorcycle class - even an easy one. I have a 20 mile commute and take my motorcycle when I can (like today) but I can see where people wouldn't want to have to bother with getting a different license.
But darlin' I can't take that motorcycle course unless I get a whole new outfit. I can't wear one of my dresses on a motorcycle and I don't own a pair of jeans. Sigh! What should I do? Do you think I will need leathers? I have heard wearing leather is the only way to ride a mc safely. Most of that stuff is black and black does absolutely nothing for my complection. You see what I mean? Wouldn't it be simpler and more logical for every state to accept that the Elio is an autocycle and therefore does not need a helmet or endorsement? Oh my, I forgot all about helmet hair. I will not wear a helmet I tell you, I will not!!! LOL :-) Z

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not must get a cycle endorcement? My wife did a weekend course in MI at a local community college for 25$ a couple of years ago. She can barely ride a bycycle but, figured it out passed, tried riding and didn't like it... But still is legal. You do not need to have been riding long to pass, at least in MI, the license is no indicator of riding skill. To get that you need a higher level of training with real coaches on a track.
Let me see, you are 47 now, so a couple of years ago you were 45 so that would probably put your wife in her early forties at most. At that age it really isn't that much of an issue to obtain an endorsement. However there are many in this forum that are in their sixties and seventies. It is entirely a different matter for many of these folk. Piloting Elio is based on driving skills not riding skills, and therefore it is ridiculous to require a motorcycle endorsement. I have had my endorsement since before your mommy noticed that gleam in your daddy's eye, so for me it is a non issue. For others it is a serious problem.

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But darlin' I can't take that motorcycle course unless I get a whole new outfit. I can't wear one of my dresses on a motorcycle and I don't own a pair of jeans. Sigh! What should I do? Do you think I will need leathers? I have heard wearing leather is the only way to ride a mc safely. Most of that stuff is black and black does absolutely nothing for my complection. You see what I mean? Wouldn't it be simpler and more logical for every state to accept that the Elio is an autocycle and therefore does not need a helmet or endorsement? Oh my, I forgot all about helmet hair. I will not wear a helmet I tell you, I will not!!! LOL :) Z

I'm hard core leather on bikes but I have to tell you there are quite a lot of leather alternatives available these days. To celebrate your ladiness you may even think about one of the wonderful pink power ranger suits that BMW riders are so found of :) (Aerostich is the brand I'm familiar with).

Of course they won't be necessary in your elio but you could use it when you get your mc license.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hard core leather on bikes but I have to tell you there are quite a lot of leather alternatives available these days. To celebrate your ladiness you may even think about one of the wonderful pink power ranger suits that BMW riders are so found of :) (Aerostich is the brand I'm familiar with).

Of course they won't be necessary in your elio but you could use it when you get your mc license.
Do they make dresses? Actually I know someone who has the wildest motorcycle leathers I have ever seen. He gave up his addiction to food and converted it to wild mc leathers to wear to and from work. LOL Besides it would have to be purple to please me. LOL :-) Z

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why there is so much hubub about this now. This time next year - more appropriate for the seeming panic about this issue if things haven't been ironed out.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand why there is so much hubub about this now. This time next year - more appropriate for the seeming panic about this issue if things haven't been ironed out.

While this is nothing to get bent out of shape over it is actually one of the few things in this Elio process that we can participate in right now. As it will take time to work through the various state legislatures it is important we start assisting Elio Motors right now so when the vehicle does make it to market as many of these hurdles have already been cleared as possible.

Top Bottom