• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not having driven an Elio yet I am not certain how it will drive. What I don't expect is much of a motorcycle experience. What I am hoping for is a single seat feel like a formula car. What makes this vehicle so cool for me is it is so many things to different folks out there. For me it is an affordable fun-mobile that is even functional.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I've written to both my State Representative and Senator in the NC House to ask them to support the changes to the current Autocycle Laws and allow the Elio to operate purely under the same laws governing standard automobiles. Does anyone here know if any progress has been made in NC?

Good job TG! Hopefully your reps will respond positively. I have not heard about any progress in NC.

Not that govt will change when current laws don't make sense... but for the Elio, #1 it sure doesn't make sense to need to take a motorcycle license test to get motorcycle skills, to drive the Elio... and #2 it doesn't make sense to require a helmet to be worn in an enclosed autocycle where if the airbags are deployed having a helmet on will increase your chances of injury.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any changes in NC either, and given that our government is as dysfunctional as the federal level, I don't expect change either :( If I get pulled over for any reason I plan on asking the officer to write me a ticket for not wearing a helmet so I can challenge the law through the court system.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that their we be no restrictions on it, you will drive with a standard licenses and no helmet. and still get the MC ins. and tag. Yea!!!!!
For all who are worried about the 'burden' of having to get a cycle endorsement, I think with a little persuasion the rules will probably be changed in most if not all states, especially when the Elio becomes a fact of the road. The license and helmet laws will probably be changed. The trade-off, however, will likely be that the deffinition of a 'car' will be changed in the process to include the Elio, either by decree or de-facto change in regulation.
In other words, the motorcycle classification that provides so many nice loopholes will be void and this could cause all kinds of unintended consequences, not least of which is that the nice, cheap motorcycle insurance will not apply and we'll be paying for big-bucks car insurance instead. Changing laws will invariably result in ourr being fleeced for more money using any bogus excuse imaginable. I'd rather get a cycle endorsement, (If I didn't have one already), than pay thousands more for insurance any day. I would much rather keep the cycle license requirement 'cause that reinforces that the vehicle is indeed a 'cycle. Then take on the helmet thing as a single issue in which no one has a financial incentive, and it's an easy sell since requiring a helmet inside an enclosed vehicle IS just SILLY.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would bet money that the Elio will end up classified as a car once it becomes a reality. Maybe not right away, but once the numbers on the road start growing to real sizeable numbers, local and state governments will quickly put a stop to all the people getting away with cheap tags and insurance. They gotta squeeze all the money out of us they can!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Paul and by extension EM is totaly up on that, that's why they have made sure it's up to 4 wheel spec. It pretty well tells the competition not to bother lobbing for that, it's covered. Now at this point, since the Elio is ready, such a upscaling of the rules would only make it harder for forien and domestic competition. The bumper system is about all that would require upgrading, and that's not to difficult in this current chassis/frame.

They would likely have to do a few more certs with the DOT, but it's not an unreachable status.

Top Bottom