• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got a little muddled..check the last sentence of my post again..

1. The Federal Government classifies the vehicle as a motorcycle and it is one in all 50 states as a result of that.
2. Each state has the authority to license the vehicle as they see fit.

A quick read of the Federalist Papers will give you an idea of the theory behind that. http://thomas.loc.gov/home/histdox/fedpapers.html

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lucky you, JP! I'm still stuck in Maryland as the choices I can find up I-83 in Pennsyltucky are not great for my needs. I keep looking. And at least we kicked the heir-apparent to the Gov who taxed the rain the the curb. (You know he's a failure when a 2 to 1 Democratic state elects a Republican!) Where'd you end up?

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lucky you, JP! I'm still stuck in Maryland as the choices I can find up I-83 in Pennsyltucky are not great for my needs. I keep looking. And at least we kicked the heir-apparent to the Gov who taxed the rain the the curb. (You know he's a failure when a 2 to 1 Democratic state elects a Republican!) Where'd you end up?

We're looking in Chester County (half hour from Philly) but still in MD for now. I was legitimately surprised that the "in the bag" election went to a Republican lol. Sorry some of us don't have a city sewer system to use O'Malley

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm starting with my new rep here in Delaware after Christmas. The DMV in Delaware has taken the position that the standard suggested by the association of DMV's is a minimum standard and they want to require a higher standard. At the same time, they make it very easy to get the motorcycle endorsement (a 1 day class and they will supply the bike), so I will probably do that as well.

Chris from Delaware

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Joel Sheltrown just posted this on Facebook this morning:

Elio Motors Governmental Affairs team has been busy and moving forward at a rapid pace. Although only 5 states remain where motorcycle helmets are required over the age of 21 for autocycles like the Elio, there are a few states that have “age specific”, under 21 requirements” Also, these bills will fix the motorcycle license requirement if needed. The following list doesn’t represent all of our efforts. If your state isn’t listed, rest assured, work towards a sponsor and drafts continue!

The following states have autocycle legislation introduced to exempt motorcycle and/or helmets:

ND Senator Sinner and Laffern (SB2312)
ID Representative Palmer (HB 15)
IN Senator Ron Grooms (SB421)
NM Representative Carl Trujillo (HB65) Senator Lopez (SB 185)
WV Senator Beach, Snyder and Williams (SB 259)
MS Representative Massengill (HB 111) Senator David Parker (SB2225) Senator Fillingane (SB2122)
KS Committee on Transportation (HB 2044)
MO Senator Wasson (Draft – Senate version) Representative Hinson (HB 580) Representative C Davis (HB 562)
OK Senator Barrington (SB 255)
AZ Senator Burges (SB 1051) Representative Peterson (HB 2211)
NE Senator Jim Smith (LB 231)
OH Senator Seitz (ready as an amendment or bill)
CT Representative Steinberg (HB 5538 – Proposed Autocycle Bill) Representative Sayers (Hb6499 - Proposed Autocycle Bill)
NC Representative Torbett (draft ready for introduction)
AR Senator Jake Files (preparing draft)
NY Senator Robach (Draft ready for introduction)
HI Representatives Woodson, Aquino, Johanson, Lopresti, Nakashima, Buenaventura, and Yamashita (HB 784)
ME Representative Golden LR1721 (Proposed Autocycle Bill)

He also wrote:
It would be great if Elio reservationists could email the sponsors in their state and thank and encourage them. Tell them how important this is to you. Thanks!

Top Bottom