• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Life After The 2017 Introductory Model... How About The Elio Ii?

voyager

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Obviously, people here will have discussed the choices Paul Elio made, the basis upon the whole venture started and what will make (or break) the very first Elio.... which IMO can be summarized as follows:

1. Don't need four seats, most people drive alone
2. Means a narrow cabin that can tandem-seat two suffices
3. Which is also good in terms of low drag and weight
4. A relatively small, fuel-efficient ICE will do
5. Don't need four wheels then; three-wheel platform sets it apart
6. Elio needs to qualify as an 'autocycle'
7. Need a wide front-wheels stance for stability
8. Low price is paramount.

What are your thoughts on an Elio II ?

Perhaps I will throw in yet another poll...

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aside from alternate drivetrains (electric, diesel) I think a "Sport Performance" version would be well recieved. It would have more power, "sportier" style focused less on fuel economy, and tilt-steering.

Alternately, perhaps a Sport Utility model. Combinging good gas mileage with with off-road capability, towing ability, and perhaps even 3-wheel drive.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Tilt" I get. An SUV... I don't. Explain.
Imagine if this Jeep had only 3 wheels and two seats. That is kinda what I mean by a Sport Utility version. Something that can travel off-road, but still be economical. It is the kind of vehicle that could safely explore narrow mountain roads and canyon trails, all while being economical and cheaper than a Jeep. :D
54ca5fe7a9a4a_-_top-off-road-01-0914-de.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Imagine if this Jeep had only 3 wheels and two seats. That is kinda what I mean by a Sport Utility version. Something that can travel off-road, but still be economical. It is the kind of vehicle that could safely explore narrow mountain roads and canyon trails, all while being economical and cheaper than a Jeep. :D
54ca5fe7a9a4a_-_top-off-road-01-0914-de.jpg

You are stretching my imagination. Are you going to put off-road tires and a rifle mount? Put the controls in the elevated back seat and position the the gunner in front. Add a wire cutter to the front so you can go through fences.:):peep:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are stretching my imagination. Are you going to put off-road tires and a rifle mount? Put the controls in the elevated back seat and position the the gunner in front. Add a wire cutter to the front so you can go through fences.:):peep:

Years ago, I drew a sketch for a 2-seat tandem car that looked very much like the Elio, except that it was a 4-wheeled car. I also envisioned an off-road version, except I figured the gunner would be in the back seat with the gun mounted on the roof.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see an Elio that could do the Baja 500 on a single tank of gas :p I think if you stripped off most of the body panels and glass, you could lighten it up enough to make up for the decrease in milage due to off-road driving.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Obviously, people here will have discussed the choices Paul Elio made, the basis upon the whole venture started and what will make (or break) the very first Elio.... which IMO can be summarized as follows:

1. Don't need four seats, most people drive alone
2. Means a narrow cabin that can tandem-seat two suffices
3. Which is also good in terms of low drag and weight
4. A relatively small, fuel-efficient ICE will do
5. Don't need four wheels then; three-wheel platform sets it apart
6. Elio needs to qualify as an 'autocycle'
7. Need a wide front-wheels stance for stability.

What are your thoughts on an Elio II ?

Perhaps I will throw in yet another poll...

Great discussion idea! We eternal optimists, with no real end in sight on the first one, can offer up changes for the next model. No sarcasm intended.

A basic change that I'd like to see: the Elio II has a trunk with more cubic area.

Yes, with the first model you can put stuff on the back seat and in the trunk. Or, you can lower the back seat and put stuff in the trunk.

There are times presently when I put something in my car, maybe the back seat or in the trunk, and I think " @#%^$ ... this wouldn't fit in the Elio."

And who knows, maybe an idea already offered, such as a longer vehicle with a suicide door for the back, whether it's on the port or starboard side, would work. Longer vehicle = more trunk space, and the door would allow bigger things to enter the vehicle.

Yes, the current vehicle is as long as a normal 4-door sedan. Can't be much longer or it wouldn't fit into most parking spaces, but hopefully adding maybe 10" to the length is doable.

I'm certain there are other details to work out, but this is just brainstorming, so no need to let me know all that's wrong with this idea. :wink:

Top Bottom