• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lightening The Load!

CaribbeanZombie

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I read awhile back about an aftermarket package for the mini coopers, called the "mini mania" package, which replaced heavier components with lighter ones & boosted horsepower. Idk if there is already a thread about this, but I was wondering if there's going to be an option to spend a bit more, but replace some parts to obtain 100+ mpg. I know there is a bit of trade off, due to the price restrictiin of $6800, but it seems (especially if we can replace with off the shelf parts) that swapping out some parts to get better mpg shouldn't be too complicated & hopefully not too expensive! :)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read awhile back about an aftermarket package for the mini coopers, called the "mini mania" package, which replaced heavier components with lighter ones & boosted horsepower. Idk if there is already a thread about this, but I was wondering if there's going to be an option to spend a bit more, but replace some parts to obtain 100+ mpg. I know there is a bit of trade off, due to the price restrictiin of $6800, but it seems (especially if we can replace with off the shelf parts) that swapping out some parts to get better mpg shouldn't be too complicated & hopefully not too expensive! :)

when I was shopping for my last car, was looking at the Prius and the honda insightl the prius got about 50mpg, the Honda about 45. The difference in price OTD was about 4K. Math being my weaker suite, my bro figured it would take, as he described it, a heap of driving before the savings on the car would match the money saved on gas.
I think the same would apply here. If they did offer a fiber carbon + other weight saving materials, that would get an additional 16 miles per/gal it would take a heap (he actually said (s_ _t-load ) of driving to offset the cost

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would imagine that Elio is going with the lightest componants available already to obtain the stated MPG goal.

I agree that they will use the lightest and lowest cost components .... there may be lighter components out there but my bet is they would be more expensive .... with an Elio, most everything is a compromise between some usually oppositional standards .... one being lowest cost, another being lightest weight, yet another being off the shelf, while providing sufficient strength and longevity .... that's a pretty tough combination of factors to work with .... I suspect they have diminishing returns factored in where they can go lighter but the cost isn't worth it

Jim

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One might get that 100 mpg by driving 45 mph with the cruise control set, on level ground with no headwind, and an empty back seat. I live in hill country and we regularly pass folks in a Prius driving about 50 and I can only figure that they are striving for better mileage. What they really do is get in the way of other drivers. I'll take 75 mpg at 75-80 mph.....

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As this vehicle already uses composite body panels and is light weight my guess is that you will not be able to shave off too much weight all that easily or cheaply. However I also believe that 100 MPG will be pretty easy to achieve with an efficient driving style and some aero mods added on to the car. An aerodynamic undertray designed to work with aero efficient front and rear diffusers may even get the vehicle most of the way there.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Weight savings really won't help much. Aerodynamics is where it's at. The under tray I'm sure will make difference. Aerodynamic covers for the suspension members. Fine tune the air inlet to keep cooling drag to a minimum. Maybe inlet shutters or blow close doors on the inlet. Hopefully some day we can replace the sideview mirrors with tiny cameras and virtually eliminate the drag of the mirrors. Another place where technology is being held back by regulations.

Top Bottom