• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

List Of New Parts Versus Existing Parts Thread

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of the cost difference; I own a DIY powder coating machine which has proved very useful and quite cheap to use. My present fun car (the Liege in my avatar) has a powder coated chassis. Powder coating is great but I've seen what happens when the edges get knocked off a powder coated chassis and rust starts to get underneath. I have to keep a pot of satin black gloss for touching in the damage.

I've also owned a car with a hot dip galvanized chassis (I stripped it for parts to build the Liege). Galvanisation on a car chassis is more durable and it would be my personal preference if there was a choice. I'd pay the extra.

they put this in a tech talk long ago. They say dip so isn't that galvanized?

"Division 3: Paint Division — Priming consists of the dip process of the body frame for anti-corrosion and the color side for painting the body panels utilizing an environmentally friendly “dry process.”"

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have heard power coating referred to a dry dipping process but I tend to think of it as a spray coating process

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"Division 3: Paint Division — Priming consists of the dip process of the body frame for anti-corrosion and the color side for painting the body panels utilizing an environmentally friendly “dry process.”"
No. Snapper Lawnmowers are dipped as well. The frames are charged and then dipped. Then, a guy sprays off the excess paint. It costs very well but it isn't galvanised.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

No. Snapper Lawnmowers are dipped as well. The frames are charged and then dipped. Then, a guy sprays off the excess paint. It costs very well but it isn't galvanised.

The actual chassis dip process is not very expensive per vehicle however it is extremely expensive in up front cost to purchase and set up the equipment. This is just another instance where getting hold of a former GM plant which still has the equipment in it allows EM do things that other start-ups or low volume builders just can not afford to do. :cool:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The actual chassis dip process is not very expensive per vehicle however it is extremely expensive in up front cost to purchase and set up the equipment. This is just another instance where getting hold of a former GM plant which still has the equipment in it allows EM do things that other start-ups or low volume builders just can not afford to do. :cool:
True. Very cheap per vehicle. Elio came out very well getting the GM plant.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Captain Obvious says: "quoted part prices are not the same as having "OTS" or "OTC" parts" ;)

Post this mythical list with PDF's of the manufacturer's quotes.

Top Bottom