• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Made In America

RonnieB

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Apple is based in the US. Ask them how much tax they pay in the US.

Money earned overseas is usually held oversees in foreign accounts. That way the companies can avoid the taxes they would pay if they brought that money back into the US.

Check out the recent controversy with Apple and how they report most of their foreign income as being earned by their tiny little office in Ireland. Coincidentally, Ireland has laws that are very friendly toward that kind of thing. And it's completely legal. However, Apple also has to pay dividends and returns to their investors on that profit on which they are paying no tax. So they borrow heavily in the US to pay their investors their dividends. Meanwhile they thumb their noses at the government and say they won't being the money back into the US until the US changes the tax laws. Apparently the EU is trying to force Ireland to crack down on this kind of thing, and bring their laws in line with the rest of the EU, but Ireland is fighting it, and Apple is pissed as hell at the EU over it.

I work for a global company with over 100 manufacturing locations totaling over 18 billion of sales. It once was a US company but now is based out of a small sales office in Ireland to avoid high taxes in America. Sadly Rob is correct that the money stays over seas and we are building in India, Mexico, China.... The supply base is also going more and more to China and India as I see my suppliers close the doors state side. If you canmake something in the US for $1.00 you can find it in China for 10 cents due to currency games.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(The observation is my own- never saw it published)
So I person walks into the dollar store in China, turns a cup over and sees Made in the U.S.

Saw this in an Asian Market near us a couple weeks ago:

20160826_125943.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's an article which explains why building small vehicles in Mexico benefits American workers.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/ignore-trump-fords-move-mexico-good-us-workers/
I didn't read it too carefully, but I think it said the we are trading small car production for promises to build some bigger vehicles in the US. Our workers will be taking those promises to the bank.
"This effect is greatest with small, inexpensive automobiles—where labor comprises a significant chunk of production costs and margins are narrow. Mexico’s free trade agreements with 44 countries make it attractive to automakers because exports aren’t subject to tariffs.

Labor comprises a smaller percentage of the cost of larger, more expensive vehicles like trucks and SUVs, which have far larger profit margins for automakers. In other words, it makes more economic sense to build cheap cars abroad and expensive cars at home—which is what Ford plans to do. This helps American workers, because Ford has promised to build two new vehicles in Dearborn.

So, less labor for the US, more labor for Mexico. It is just cheaper to build in Mexico.:eek:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know what would be an even bigger benefit for the American worker? Keeping the old production line here in the US, *and* building the new one in the US, too.

This may be skirting the politics line, but this article is a blatant political propaganda piece by Wired. The intent is to slam one particular candidate. Wired has endorsed one candidate, and is using their platform to engage in a smear campaign against the other. Regardless of your political leanings, this is dishonest, yellow journalism on the part of Wired. Typical of most news outlets this year. Highly disappointing.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Mexican auto assembly capacity is projected to more than double in size between 2010 and 2020. The major reason for this rapid growth is the infusion of $13.3 billion in investment to move 3.3 million units of vehicle capacity from Japan, Germany, and S. Korea to Mexico rather than the movement of U.S. and Canadian capacity. This report highlights North American vehicle production trends, and demonstrates that while automakers and suppliers are attracted by Mexico’s low labor rates, there are many other factors behind Mexico’s growing role in the North American automotive industry. Combined with lower labor costs, Mexico’s unique free trade position with 40 countries and access to 47 percent of the world’s automotive market provides a significant competitive edge to attract automotive investment that the United States and Canada do not have. Growth in Mexican production volumes, however, can still result in new business for U.S. and Canadian suppliers. Due to well-integrated North American supply chains, vehicles produced in Mexico may be comprised of up to 40 percent U.S. content. In fact, U.S. exports of parts and components to Mexico more than doubled between 2005 and 2014 to a level of $18.4 billion." - See more at: http://www.cargroup.org/?module=Publications&event=View&pubID=137#sthash.bHkWsMEZ.dpuf

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You know what would be an even bigger benefit for the American worker? Keeping the old production line here in the US, *and* building the new one in the US, too.

This may be skirting the politics line, but this article is a blatant political propaganda piece by Wired. The intent is to slam one particular candidate. Wired has endorsed one candidate, and is using their platform to engage in a smear campaign against the other. Regardless of your political leanings, this is dishonest, yellow journalism on the part of Wired. Typical of most news outlets this year. Highly disappointing.
Yes it is, but I'm going to allow it if it doesn't get too out of hand.
Partially because I agree, moving it there is just wrong.
And this is a ploy by Ford to put up a smoke screen to hide behind.
I won't say anything about how the unions are the ones that make it expensive to work here.
They've had their time and place, and that time is gone, just like the union is not the same union it used to be when they formed.

I'll put my soapbox away, and be in the other room if you need anything. ;)

Top Bottom