• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Marketing Oriented To The Motorcyclist

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The motorcycle market is an excellent source of Elio customers. The motorcyclist who wishes to eliminate the typical problems of two wheel vehicles is a good beginning. I started by googling "The ten most common excuses for not riding a motorcycle". The articles that I found had plenty of valid complaints that could be solved by an Elio. As for the number of the motorcycles in the United States, the lowest count that I got from unofficial sources was eight million plus. What ever the precise number is, it represents a big market. Therefore I opened this thread to facilitate the compiling of ideas for Elio Motors to use in a marketing campaign. The only restriction that I would put on this thread is that the author of the marketing idea relinquishes all intellectual property rights.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you and I think a lot of us in here are (or were ) motorcycle riders. Definitely appealing.I, for one, used to ride until I had a pretty bad accident several years ago. I promised my wife I would ride again, at least while the kids are still at home. This is the compromise the wife and i came up with. So i think your idea is valid and already verified.

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but must disagree. The Elio is neither a car nor a motorcycle, but its form and function is much closer to that of a car.

No motorcycle enthusiast is going to experience the enjoyment of motorcycle riding by getting inside a vehicle, strapping on the seatbelts, and holding a steering wheel.

The fun of motorcycling is throwing a leg over it, holding onto the handlebars, twisting the throttle and carving through canyons. [IMO]. Can't do any of these things in an Elio.

But what I can do in my '69 Nova SS, I can probably do in the Elio. (except accelerate from a dead stop to 60 mph in 6 seconds ;))

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but must disagree. The Elio is neither a car nor a motorcycle, but its form and function is much closer to that of a car.

No motorcycle enthusiast is going to experience the enjoyment of motorcycle riding by getting inside a vehicle, strapping on the seatbelts, and holding a steering wheel.

The fun of motorcycling is throwing a leg over it, holding onto the handlebars, twisting the throttle and carving through canyons. [IMO]. Can't do any of these things in an Elio.

But what I can do in my '69 Nova SS, I can probably do in the Elio. (except accelerate from a dead stop to 60 mph in 6 seconds ;))
Perhaps the SRK Electric motorcycle will be the choice better suited for the motorcycle enthusiasts you describe. The rider throws a leg over it, it has handle bar steering, a twisting throttle, quick 0-60 mph, and the base model is designed for open air riding with some overhead protection. Enclosure panels are an option so bikers can ride it open on the nice days and enclosed on the not so nice days. It would allow for an extended biking season in more temperate climates.

Last edited:

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Next spring I'll be riding for 40 years, so for me the Elio is more about why I do ride than why I would not.

Most motorcyclists, at least those not interested in dressing like a pirate and bar hopping, are OK with travelling a little light and with fewer creature comforts. Many of us travel for several weeks with only what we can carry. We go into it knowing that at some point we will get wet (though rain gear has improved greatly). It can get a bit uncomfortable wearing protective gear at 95F. Even for daily use, we don't need a 4500 pound steel box to get to work or to bring home a bag of groceries. What's best is a feeling of being within the scenery, rather than simply observing it.

Where I live, in interior Connecticut, the morning temperature spends months hovering around freezing. This morning it's 30F with black ice warnings. I've ridden down to 5F, but that ice... it's the only thing that has ever put me on the ground. So for me, the Elio is a supplemental motorcycle. Three wheels get me over the black ice and where I need to be without dressing like the Michelin man. I won't get to work with 4 empty seats. As a bonus, it will get the same or better mileage than any of my 3.8 bikes.

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will never feel like riding a motorcycle, but an old fart like me can make believe I am still on a bike while driving the Elio. I can even pretend I am flying if I put my hand out the window and tilt it into the wind. A bike is still a freedom machine mostly for one person. The Elio is the same, sort of. It is also unique, fun, affordable, new, good looking, and safer for me than a bike. It is not safer than a car though. I can live without some of the visceral motorcycle feel and enjoy what Elio is bringing though. A way to hit the road and get to work in style.

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have been a motorcyclist since 1968 and I know the Elio is not a motorcycle. However, I don't take the extremes in heat and cold as I did even 5 years ago. I hardly rode this summer because it was so damned hot. When I saw an Elio ad on the Stewart Varney show on Fox Business network, I said, "heat/air, traction control AND cup holders? I'm all in."

Top Bottom