• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Maybe A Helmet Wouldn't Be So Bad...

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goldwing06-- search thread on "aerodynamic saddle bags". Having 2 wheels in front brings its own set of problems. Not insurmountable but problems nonetheless. Anything you run over with the front wheels is going to blast the saddle bags. Road debris, road kill, horse debris (maybe just a Texas problem) you get the idea. Anyway I've read the roof will have hardpoints pre installed to mount aftermarket roof racks.
there r several brands of saddle bags, made from material that can withstand practically anything the road can throw at them. they are lockable and have quick detachment features that allows them to become luggage when u reach your destination. there is also protective cloth and vinal covers that can installed over them while traveling. they can be painted in matching colors if desired. u can choose the ugly or attractive panniers, or make something youself if u like laying up fiberglas or bending up aluminum. the rude, crude, socially unacceptable dude, could just hang a couple of large ammo cans on it. they will keep your stuff dry in a storm. some even come with additional tail lights installed for extra visibility. one major concern of attaching anything to the vehicle, is to not block the rearview mirrors, not block the door or gas cap and keep the cg as low as possible and not disturb the weight distrubution if possible. a roof mounted anything is questionable, 'cept maybe a bag of feathers.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goldwing06 While the rear of P4 is a little busy I have been thinking about the area under the rear cover to the left of the wheel assembly. The rear of the Elio appears to be about 2 feet wide and the wheel assembly is about 9 inches that leaves about 7 inched of width. Possibly a 6.5 x 18 x 24 form fitted suitcase to fit the area. (Dimensions are pure guess) Not much I know but good enough for toiletries and a change of clothes. Out of the breeze so no concern with aerodynamic drag or debris thrown by the front wheels. This of course is all speculation since all I have to go on is pictures I have seen of P4.
open space does not a compartment make. i see a lot of folks are pro trailer tow and installing a hitch assembly on the rear will need to allow a configuration that won't interfere with the tire removal in case of a rear flat. that does sounds more like a good tool storage area though, instead of luggage. a metal ammo can may be able to be mounted there to hold any tools or a slime patch kit.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quite true but in a vehicle that has little space for anything other than what you can carry in your pockets every cubic inch counts. My idea would be to have the storage built inside the removable fairing section so as not to interfere with tire repair or replacement.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
there r several brands of saddle bags, made from material that can withstand practically anything the road can throw at them. they are lockable and have quick detachment features that allows them to become luggage when u reach your destination. there is also protective cloth and vinal covers that can installed over them while traveling. they can be painted in matching colors if desired. u can choose the ugly or attractive panniers, or make something youself if u like laying up fiberglas or bending up aluminum. the rude, crude, socially unacceptable dude, could just hang a couple of large ammo cans on it. they will keep your stuff dry in a storm. some even come with additional tail lights installed for extra visibility. one major concern of attaching anything to the vehicle, is to not block the rearview mirrors, not block the door or gas cap and keep the cg as low as possible and not disturb the weight distrubution if possible. a roof mounted anything is questionable, 'cept maybe a bag of feathers.
'cept maybe a bag of feathers'

Two questions come to mind.
Which would you rather carry on the roof rack of your Elio, using 50#s as an example.?

1) 50# bag of Feathers?
2) 50# block of lead?
Yes 50#s IS 50#s!!

Sometimes the Dead Weight is not the only consideration.
A 50# bag of dry feathers would possibly be as Large as a Hummer.

I, for one, would much rather tow a light weight trailer with 300#s of Lead than attempt trying to transport any size bag of feathers atop my Elio.

Please understand that I post this in a 'LOL' frame of mind.

Last edited:

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'cept maybe a bag of feathers'

Two questions come to mind.
Which would you rather carry on the roof rack of your Elio, using 50#s as an example.?

1) 50# bag of Feathers?
2) 50# block of lead?
Yes 50#s IS 50#s!!

Sometimes the Dead Weight is not the only consideration.
A 50# bag of dry feathers would possibly be as Large as a Hummer.

I, for one, would much rather tow a light weight trailer with 300#s of Lead than attempt trying to transport any size bag of feathers atop my Elio.

Please understand that I post this is in a 'LOL' frame of mind.
well, the bag of feathers comment was to stress the need to keep the weight off the top, both for stability and aerodynamics. besides, if u had the sunroof option, u wouldn't want to block the view. further, if i had to carry more than the 25# max that would go in each side of the saddle bag luggage, then towing a trailer would be preferable to ever putting anything on top of the vehicle.

Top Bottom