• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A move to steel body panels rather than composite would shorten the Elio's useful life by half or more where I live. Nothing will stop the salt from destroying it in ten years or less other than garaging it for six months a year. (sigh) I will keep my fingers crossed...
My best suggestion to anyone that has questions or comments directed to Elio Motors you should contact them
Elio Owners Forum is not affiliated directly to Elio Motors.
Rather than venting here, contact the people that are controlling all of the aspects of the Elio and let them know.

Elio Motors can be contacted at:

Elio CS: Toll Free: (844) 289-3546
Direct: (480) 500-6800 Ext. 1
Phone Hours: M-F 9am – 3pm Central Time

Emails:
tellmemore@eliomotors.com
orders@eliomotors.com
support@eliomotors.zendesk.com
https://reservations.eliomotors.com/customer/account/

Mailing address:
Elio Motors, Inc.
2942 North 24th Street,
Suite 114-700
Phoenix, AZ 85016

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My best suggestion to anyone that has questions or comments directed to Elio Motors you should contact them
Elio Owners Forum is not affiliated directly to Elio Motors.
Rather than venting here, contact the people that are controlling all of the aspects of the Elio and let them know.

Elio Motors can be contacted at:

Elio CS: Toll Free: (844) 289-3546
Direct: (480) 500-6800 Ext. 1
Phone Hours: M-F 9am – 3pm Central Time

Emails:
tellmemore@eliomotors.com
orders@eliomotors.com
support@eliomotors.zendesk.com
https://reservations.eliomotors.com/customer/account/

Mailing address:
Elio Motors, Inc.
2942 North 24th Street,
Suite 114-700
Phoenix, AZ 85016

I am sorry you feel I was "venting", I thought I was expressing an opinion - with every bit of the value they are known to have :rolleyes:
I am also aware that the desires of one consumer will not alter the design of the Elio, so my sending my comments to EM is not any more effective than requesting an alternative to the Elgin dash or asking for the "Y" colour, they will do what they think will bring the project home - as well they should.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why everybody is getting their shorts in a wad. It's obvious to me that he's talking about the "frame" of the vehicle. Since the frame completely surrounds the passenger compartment, he's calling it a "body".
Maybe. But metal body panels have been mentioned in cinjunction withbthe E series testing.

My guess: design to cost. Done deal.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that all testing should be done with the same body/frame configuration as the production vehicle. The frame structure of the E1a,b,c is right for an SMC clad body but is overbuilt (and heavy) for a steel body vehicle. Can't believe stamped steel would be any cheaper than SMC.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that all testing should be done with the same body/frame configuration as the production vehicle. The frame structure of the E1a,b,c is right for an SMC clad body but is overbuilt (and heavy) for a steel body vehicle. Can't believe stamped steel would be any cheaper than SMC.
I more or less agree with you. It is important to test with the eventual configuration you plan to build. I have the sense that the switch to a stamped frame and the switch to metal body panels is a more or less last-minute decision. After the first couple of cars they are absolutely going to have to standardize in order to get viable and consistent test results. Something happened that we don't know about to push these changes into being.

My guess is that cost is the main reason for metal body panels AND for the stamped frame, but there could be other factors at play.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry you feel I was "venting", I thought I was expressing an opinion - with every bit of the value they are known to have :rolleyes:
I am also aware that the desires of one consumer will not alter the design of the Elio, so my sending my comments to EM is not any more effective than requesting an alternative to the Elgin dash or asking for the "Y" colour, they will do what they think will bring the project home - as well they should.
One person sending, no, it won't; many sending, maybe you can get them to talk openly about it rather than a 1 or 2 line in an email or a 2 second soundbite from a video.
Maybe many asking can get them to be more aware of what people are thinking about. They are not building the Elio for themselves, they are building it for the masses. But it has to start somewhere.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The issue with Steel body panels is weight and rust. The benefit is price.

Aluminum would be a better option....like the first generation insight. It would cost more though.

Top Bottom