• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another little tidbit I found in the EM site, kind of buried.
We all knew (thought) the Elio was going to weigh 1250, I think that's always been the weight mentioned.
Then while building the P5 there was discussion about being 400lbs overweight.
Well surprise, surprise I found that the Elio now weighs 1,228lbs

So where did the 422lbs go? I think it went out the door when the stamped unibody and the steel body panels showed up.
Making the Elio lighter has been one of the "Prime Directives".
The lighter the car, the easier it is to move.
Huh. Cool find!

Silber Dreirad

Elio Fan
Reaction score
upload_2016-8-18_12-44-33.png

Good find Coss - here it is: https://www.eliomotors.com/about-elio/#possible

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree that cars have come along way in rust proofing, but my Saturn's composite body held up way better than my '99 Mercedes SUV. The zinc in galvanized metal is a sacrificial material that when salt uses it up, it stops protecting. I'm sure metal is cheaper especially in high quantity production when Elio has switched to a unibody. As far as it being environmentally green because it is more recyclable, that is countered by it not lasting as long. I think Shreveport is set up for a metal unibody car, so why did they go to the expense of making fiberglass molds - just seems like this wasn't well thought out. Makes me wonder if what little we have heard about the engine production is accurate, and if they are still going with a cylinder flame spray process, and where the engine is going to be manufactured?

NorCalPhil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
so why did they go to the expense of making fiberglass molds - just seems like this wasn't well thought out...

There is a great deal of marketing in all of the published bits from EM, especially when they change direction. I'm a marketer, so I tend not to believe any of it :)

If we look at this in the long-term, it wouldn't surprise me if certain aspects of the first model are implemented just to get this company into production, and original ideas that were left behind get a second look in future models.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't someone email EM, and EM confirmed SMC was still planned, and this email was very recently?

Was it Coss?
I did, and that is what they told me At the Time
Here's the email, and the date:

Elio.jpe

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jul 19, 09:02 EDT

Hello Garry,
Thanks for reaching out with your concerns
Sheet molded composite is still the design direction but we are looking at other materials, i.e. steel and other automotive skin materials that could help us make the vehicle better, safer, more reliable and improve upon our four tenets. All changes and potential improvements must fit within our four tenets and our existing timeline to be considered.

Thanks,
Elio Team

That was a month ago.
As they explain in the last Momentum New Letter, the steel body was the winner in the comparisons.
There are still parts that will be in composite or plastics; so it's not 100% steel.

I just relay what they tell me; I don't make the decisions, they do.

Top Bottom