• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

dbatch1715

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Ziebart went out of business, but there are similar applications available, especially in Canada. This is supposed to be touched up annually, but still has limited ability to protect the painted sheet metal. It is better for protecting the under carriage and the bottom of your doors.
I did a Google Search and there are actual Ziebart Shops still in business, and one here in St. Charles, Missouri where I live and never knew existed.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I"m ok with the unibody. Also ok with steel instead of plastic. Each has their own advantages.
I'd still like to see real World numbers from the engine. HP, Torque and milage. Zero to sixty times as well. While I"m certain they'll be close to advertised, Seeing is believing. ;)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You could always have your Elio entirely done in truck bed liner.

I'd actually seen some late 90's & early 00's cars that looked like they had that material on the rockers...
And about a third of the way up the doors. This was when they were new and/or fairly new.
Haven't seen it on more recent models though. Haven't seen it lately at all.

Must not have worked out or it died out because of little demand.
I understand it's still a DYI thing with a few truck owners.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I"m ok with the unibody. Also ok with steel instead of plastic. Each has their own advantages.
I'd still like to see real World numbers from the engine. HP, Torque and milage. Zero to sixty times as well. While I"m certain they'll be close to advertised, Seeing is believing. ;)

Guess you'll have to wait for the real world car to see that information.
By that I mean the uni-body with metal body panels and whatever plastic parts.
And just for the record, EPA numbers are not real.
Or at least not real in the terms that we can't get gas that isn't adulterated with ethanol.
So before we see "real world" anything, we have to define the parameters of "real world".

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am good with steel. It does dent easer and we get some humongous hail down here. But I have managed to keep my other metal cars out of it so I think I can take care of the Elio too.
It does seem a little funny that this engineer heavy company just sorts came around to this at this late date. I hope it speeds up not slows down the remaining R&D and we still get our Elios first half of physical 2017.
MK

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, most of my milage is highway. I tend to actually get to the high end of what ever the stated mpg for my vehicle says it'll do. I also admit tinkering with the vehicles to get bonuses, milage, power, etc. On the older ones, a simple electric fan, in place of t he belt driven one, improves acceleration and milage.
When I first read they're the unibody route, I was a bit saddened. But, I also realize this'll put a bit more protection between me and anything that might want to come inside and join me! The steel body parts, I also understand. Quicker to form them, and steel is still less expensive than alternative materials.
Same goal for me though. GO ELIO!!!

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this in the "dream cruise" thread .... I learned that the decision to use sheet metal panels has decreased the weight of the car by perhaps 5 pounds... in paint! The lower porosity of the metal panels means less paint is needed to provide the same effective coverage. Additionally, a new paint supplier has been identified which offers a thinner formulation (and lower cost) paint at the same level of performance. The combination means lower cost and lower weight.

Go Elio!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am good with steel. It does dent easer and we get some humongous hail down here. But I have managed to keep my other metal cars out of it so I think I can take care of the Elio too.
It does seem a little funny that this engineer heavy company just sorts came around to this at this late date. I hope it speeds up not slows down the remaining R&D and we still get our Elios first half of physical 2017.
MK
I think they had gone so far down the tubular cage frame road (for both weight and safety) that it just never dawned on them to look at alternatives -- until they learned they couldn't meet the weight and cost goals that way. Also, suspension geometry may have played some role in this decision. Roush may have wanted a stiffer platform to refine the corners (suspension geometry) of the car.

Eliodude

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue with Steel body panels is weight and rust. The benefit is price.

I wonder how much experience Elio's contract engineering firm(s) have when designing for corrosion protection?

Galvanized steel construction delays corrosion, it doesn't prevent it. Welding destroys the coating in the heat-affected zone. Pockets that trap moisture and dirt will rust out. Voids that trap air during e-coating and/or can't be reached by paint will be trouble. This is not easy, which is why it took so long for the mainstream auto industry to get it mostly right.

Top Bottom