• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Michelin Airless Tires For Elio? Tweel?

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been mulling this 'tweel' concept for the entire weekend now. I believe this may be the answer for the rear center wheel of MY Elio. At least during the winter months here in NW Indiana. Just think if you are driving down the road/highway in the evening/night and suddenly something comes up in the middle of the road - you don't have to swerve all across the lane at the last second to attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to avoid it, you just center the object between the two front pontoons and run over the damn thing! You'd contact it with your tweel and, all is well! I like this idea the more I visualize it. I accept that it shouldn't come standard on the production Elio (due to cost), but what a swell aftermarket add-on it would make.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been interested in run flat tires but they do have some disadvantages. This attached article is quite enlightening. I think I'll just stick with the tires that come with my Elio and carry an inflator can of sealant. :cool:

http[URL='http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/run-flat-tires-why-you-should-or-shouldnt-buy-them.html']://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/run-flat-tires-why-you-should-or-shouldnt-buy-them.html[/QUOTE[/URL]]

Hidy Dooltd,
I had Continental self sealing tires (OEM) on my 2005 Dodge Magnum... Would seal up to a 6 mm hole (think .22 long rifle). Never had a flat but they had terrible wear... I got 23K out of mine, most owners got between 14-18K... Class action suit against Cont...etc... Long story short I put conventional tires on when I replaced them... It would appear these RF tires have similar longevity problems so they're a non starter for me... I ride motorcycles cross country and carry the necessary stuff to repair a simple flat... check my post here in spare tire questions thread...
http://elioowners.com/threads/spare-tire-questions.395/page-16#post-52391 I'll be doing the same with my Elio with the addition of AAA in case of catastrophic failure requiring a roll back wrecker...

h_r:cool:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if EM has specified what size tires will be fitted on the Elio? :cool:

The only officially confirmed information is that this vehicle will run on 15 inch tires made by Cooper Tire and run on corresponding 15 inch five lug wheels.

We have some unofficial information, which comes directly from Elio Motors people, that tells us that they are currently planning to run three same size tires sized 135/(70 or 80)R15. This tells us that EM plans to run some very narrow tires, similar in size to spare 'donut' tires, which makes sense for such a light vehicle trying to achieve high MPG. As this is not officially confirmed information it is very much subject to change and indeed there has been some change over time as what we heard previously was that the rear tire would be wider.

Plenty of discussion on this over on the Wheels and Tires thread:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/wheels-tires.1683/

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please expound?

A Yorkshire man might well be heard to say "Look at 't'wheels on t'car ovver theer!

It's an an accent or dialect thing.

I live just over the border from T'Yorkshire, it lies three hundred yards from here, in Nottinghamshire. But I'm originally from Derbyshire, which lies just a few hundred yards further away.

'Ere's a bit o' t'dialect.

Last edited:

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned much about snow/ice/mud buildup on a Tweel, the flex would probably self clean better than a standard wheel.

Conventional wheels can load up pretty bad if run in deep snow, enough to need attention in the form of heat or scraping.

Tweel may well have other limitations, (weight comes to mind) but material buildup isn't one.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A Yorkshire man might well be heard to say "Look at 't'wheels on t'car ovver theer!

It's an an accent or dialect thing.

I live just over the border from T'Yorkshire, it lies three hundred yards from here, in Nottinghamshire. But I'm originally from Derbyshire, which lies just a few hundred yards further away.

'Ere's a bit o' t'dialect.

And to think this all coalesced into Merry Old England. Hard to grasp.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Michelin Airless Motorcycle Tire looks much different than it's Tweel. I have no idea where Michelin is at on manufacturing this tire.......bit I like the looks of this one along with the function of an airless tire on a scooter or motorcycle.
image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hankook seems to be getting closer to a tire for the family car. I can see how this design might ease the issues that the original Tweel had. As I understand it, when the 'spokes' come off the road they would 'twang'. Makes too much noise at 55 or 65mph.

The right color of these would look pretty good. Eventually the type may exceed the rolling efficiency of pneumatic tires. But getting rid of flats? Super. Esp since you can't put a spare in an Elio.

http://www.gizmag.com/hankook-airless-tires-high-speed-testing/38483/

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hankook seems to be getting closer to a tire for the family car. I can see how this design might ease the issues that the original Tweel had. As I understand it, when the 'spokes' come off the road they would 'twang'. Makes too much noise at 55 or 65mph.

The right color of these would look pretty good. Eventually the type may exceed the rolling efficiency of pneumatic tires. But getting rid of flats? Super. Esp since you can't put a spare in an Elio.

http://www.gizmag.com/hankook-airless-tires-high-speed-testing/38483/
Could be a workable option on the lightweight Elio autocycle. Although I bet an expensive option.

Top Bottom