• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mileage - Speed

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio has an 8 gallon fuel tank and is estimated to have fuel mileage ratings of about 49 mpg city and 84 mpg highway so 600 plus mile range on the highway should be pretty realistic.
Top speed is currently listed as 107 mph so you should be able to comfortably drive it at highway speeds.
The final numbers will be available closer to actual production which is currently expected second quarter of next year however they should be pretty close to these numbers.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if you could get it to hwy speed using the starter motor. The starter, wiring, or battery would likely catch fire before you exhaust the battery's capacity.
That's the only way to gauge the electric powered range on the Elio.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
jtmarten, true. However, I wonder if they'd be willing to make the Elio capable of a start/stop system. The engine is small enough that a slightly heavier duty starter would be able to get it moving. I used to be able to get my '85 mustang moving using just the starter (the clutch cable broke and I couldn't shift from neutral with it running nor could I come to a stop in first. So, before I could get it fixed the next day, I spent the day coasting in neutral to a stop and then shutting it down, shifting into first and using the starter to get it moving again.). The Elio is light enough and shouldn't be much of a stretch to shut down and coast to a stop - brakes wouldn't need much in the way of a boost. Hmm... I'm going to put that in a new post under drivetrain...

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
jtmarten, true. However, I used to be able to get my '85 mustang moving using just the starter (the clutch cable broke and I couldn't shift from neutral with it running nor could I come to a stop in first. So, before I could get it fixed the next day, I spent the day coasting in neutral to a stop and then shutting it down, shifting into first and using the starter to get it moving again.)

As Jeff Foxworthy said, "You might be a redneck........" . Insert the above quote. Haha! I have stories involving creative ingenuity as well, but I will not disclose those here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it can handle the Blue Ridge Parkway - at posted speed going uphill.
I remember a car in the 80s that my parents had that was under 10mph by the time it reached the top of the mountain.

Last edited:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it can handle the Blue Ridge Parkway - at posted speed going uphill.
I remember a car in the 80s that my parents had that was under 10mph by the time it reached the top of the mountain.
I believe it will do just fine.

Top Bottom