• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Military Service

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a retired Air Force, E7, with 23 years active duty. My career field was 303X2, Heavy Ground Radar, while that was my only career field, it required work in many areas, from building maintenance to mechanical repair, to paint and body work. Was stationed in Washington state, Florida, Oregon, Montana, Philippines, Vietnam, and Germany. That 23 years passed in what seemed like 3 weeks..so I would agree that time flies when you are having fun and I enjoy almost every minute of my stay in the military.
June 1965, Jul 1988

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a retired Air Force, E7, with 23 years active duty. My career field was 303X2, Heavy Ground Radar, while that was my only career field, it required work in many areas, from building maintenance to mechanical repair, to paint and body work. Was stationed in Washington state, Florida, Oregon, Montana, Philippines, Vietnam, and Germany. That 23 years passed in what seemed like 3 weeks..so I would agree that time flies when you are having fun and I enjoy almost every minute of my stay in the military.
June 1965, Jul 1988
Same with me and the 20 yrs in 3 weeks, problem is, the 20 after that only took two, and with only 20 good ones left,:(.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1968 - 1989 U.S. Navy

TMC (retired) :D

vietnamvet.jpg
No Mr. ahs. "no"not enough said. People who made statements like, "Make Love not War" and "War what is it good for" are simply too challenged to perceive a sincere truth. Yet alone the understand Viet Nam. Possibly they might perceive that there are still hordes of Vietnamese who would give their eye teeth just see a Glimpse of the good ole USA. Thanks to the explosion of the Internet. The national 3 News medias will no longer monopolize the information spigot. Once and for all exposing the hypocrisy of LIbs who are still stuck on "make love not war", a completely irrelevant and meaningless quip chanted as if somehow the repetition will make it make sense. Poppycock!

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same with me and the 20 yrs in 3 weeks, problem is, the 20 after that only took two, and with only 20 good ones left,:(.

Party on!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtMAVHaMtY8Z62LvJfWZpWzEYwqAcXVBvhPD7RX50XVi-eaO73.jpg

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Calling all VETS...... get ready to MOBILIZE! Did you know that to drive your Elio on any DoD installation.... you will have to comply with:-- http://www.army.mil/article/60950/Motorcycle_protective_equipment_mandatory_for_military_personnel/ --?
These instructions apply to everyone, including military, DoD civilian, other agency personnel, contractors or visitors on a DoD installation.

* Helmets: Helmets must meet Department of Transportation standards and be properly fastened under the chin. Full face helmets offer the best protection. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent and brain injury by 67 percent. The DOT sets minimum standards that helmets sold for motorcycling on public streets must meet.

* Eye protection: A windshield alone is not proper eye protection. Impact- or shatter-resistant face shield, goggles or wraparound glasses that meet ANSI Standard Z87.1 are required. Tinted lenses may be worn during the day, but clear lenses should be used at night.

* Clothing: Dress for the slide, not the ride. Long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens are required. Garments made from leather or abrasion-resistant fabric provide a high level of protection.

Most motorcyclists prefer pants that are similar to their jackets, and some are available that zip together. Pants should provide the same protection against abrasion as jackets. Gloves are intended to protect the rider's fingers in the event of a crash. The glove should be made for motorcycle use. Gloves that are not for motorcycle use provide less grip and protection and may come off.

* Garment visibility: A brightly colored outer, upper garment during the day and a reflective upper garment are required during the night. Vests made with high-visibility colors and retro reflective materials are best. Vests can be worn over jackets to increase the chance of being seen and allow drivers to better judge the speed and position of riders, especially in adverse conditions of dark and wet.

* Foot Protection: Over-the-ankle footwear is required. Footwear should be made of sturdy leather and have a good low-heeled, oil-resistant sole to reduce slipping hazards. Army boots meet the requirement.
Efforts by the Elio Motors 'Legislative Rep' have been met with 'no response' from the OPR for the DoD regulation/policy. We may have to launch a 'campaign' to get this CHANGED for enclosed vehicles.... like the ELIO..... get ready for battle!

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's an hour drive to the closest DOD gate. Maybe I will just drive over just to see if I can get on.
If they ask, I will say it's not required in Ohio and show them I don't need a MCL to operate.
Worst comes to worst, U turn.:) Or :eek:GITMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom