• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Huh. You are probably right. My '65 Mustang only had the rearview and a drivers side mirror. I didnt' think that there might be a law dictating 2 mirrors but not requiring them to be outside. If that's the law anywhere, they'll have to put both on there so that the car can be sold in all 50 states. I'm not sure what if any wind resistance would be saved anyway (it would be a little cheaper though).

More than you think.
"When wraps weren't a thing yet, they showed Gordon's car, and they said that everything was painted. Even the contingency decals were painted on. They put templates for the decals on, painted the car, removed the templates and painted the decals. This way, there was no raised edges on the car. Then clear coat and you've got less drag."

Last edited:

drift

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Replacing the rearview mirrors is against NHTSA regulations. They may be used to augment rear vision but cannot be used to replace mirrors. By 2018 all cars and small truckg have been mandated to have a backup cam, but as yet cannot be used to replace..
It is still legally a motorcycle and automobile standards do not apply.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let me think of the number of bikes sold in the USA without two mirrors. Can't think of a single one. Would seem good sense would dictate that. Without an inside mirror that would make me want a pair outside to see what is happening back there. Feel free to pull yours off.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More than you think.
"When wraps weren't a thing yet, they showed Gordon's car, and they said that everything was painted. Even the contingency decals were painted on. They put templates for the decals on, painted the car, removed the templates and painted the decals. This way, there was no raised edges on the car. Then clear coat and you've got less drag."
I'm sure it makes a difference but at the speeds we will be driving, I was wondering if it would make much difference.

drift

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Let me think of the number of bikes sold in the USA without two mirrors. Can't think of a single one. Would seem good sense would dictate that. Without an inside mirror that would make me want a pair outside to see what is happening back there. Feel free to pull yours off.
this thread is about removing the mirrors and replacing them with cameras.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
There are some concepts out there with only cameras. Some European auto mfgs are hollering both about cameras as well as our archaic regs concerning lighting. The US spec is in watts while a LED measured at 5 watts may be nearly 50% brighter than a light measured at 30 watts yet because the regs specify watts the LED unit is illegal. Hopefully it will be soon but changing anything government is a slow process.

That's not actually true. There are cars in the USA with all-LED headlamps. The Hella headlamps on the 2009 Cadillac Escalade Platinum became the first US market all-LED headlamps. Harley Davidson also has LED headlamps for their motorcycles. They are both replacement units for all models, and also standard on some special models. I think they now measure headlamps in lumens, not watts. There is the Audi design of smart-LED headlamp making waves with USA headlamp regulations because they don't use a manual switch for high/low beam, but rather a smart system to control them instead. Now while some USA cars have a similar system that will auto-dim the headlights, they still have a manual switch (the Chrysler town and country has these).

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it makes a difference but at the speeds we will be driving, I was wondering if it would make much difference.

I don’t know about you, but with a little tweaking, I’m hoping mine hits :eek:200 MPH.

Just kidding, it’s a total non issue with me, just thought it was an interesting tid-bit
of useless information. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is still legally a motorcycle and automobile standards do not apply.
You seem to have a misconception as to what the NHTSA is and does, The National Highway Transportation Safety Board, issues basic regulations and mandates that govern any motorized vehicle on our roads with displacements over a given base. The states in some cases have the option to modify these rules. I am not sayjng your cycle is not legal in Mississippi, only that it is NOT LEGAL in many other states. Cameras for the replacement of mirrors is not legal in any of the 50 for any vehicle.
Take your extra mirror off, I don't care, it's there for your safety. but if you replace your one mirror with a camera, you are illegal. I know it don't make much semse but that is our government for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom