• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Model 3 Vs Elio

DwnSth

Elio Fan
Reaction score
While I get they are two very different vehicles trying to accomplish different things It's amazing the public reaction to each. Tesla misses production date after productions date, over 800 million $ loss JUST last year and it's the company that will 'change the world' How many years has it been since the first Tesla rolled off a line. I still don't see any in my neck of the woods, this is their 3rd maybe 4th vehicle to market and they still can't give a production date. Elio is operating bare bones, has announced production of 100 units this year and has spent far less $'s than Musk has. I think we'll see 2017 production. I'm not anti tesla or anti electric vehicle, but I have a very nice choice of high mileage gas vehicles to choose from for a good bit less. The 200 mile range is a killer for me. My local driving will be in my ELIO, or my wrangler, and my distance driving is in my giant truck that gets 20 mpg. For the average person which is what the Model 3 is aimed at, it certainly won't make sense as a primary vehicle.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get what you're saying and agree with most of it. For all its faults, Tesla undoubtedly has had a dramatic effect on the automotive landscape and the big carmakers' reaction to it is evidence of that. In short, Tesla has made electric cars sexy and desirable in a way no other car maker has been able to achieve. And now they're trying to do that in a much more affordable package. I'm hoping Elio will eventually have a similar effect on the other end of the ICE spectrum.

RadRich

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ahh... don't try and throw Tesla under the bus. At least they have products on the market. In my area (Sacramento, CA), they are a dime a dozen, especially where I work. The Model S is all over the downtown. However, back on topic. I highly doubt they'll miss any production dates this time, especially since the battery manufacturing plant in Nevada will be producing the batteries, not like what happened with the Model S. Elio...

I should have used that $1k for something else. I actually bought a new Q50 last month since this Elio car probably will never happen. It gets the worst gas mileage I have ever seen. ~12.7 mpg on average. Really bad choice.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping that in 5 years or so, I'll be able to trade in our 2012 Leaf for a 2017 Tesla Model 3 :D
People keep comparing EV Range to Gas tanks, but most people don't fill up their gas tanks at home every night. 215 miles is more than most people drive in a day. Heck, we rarely use the full 84 mile range of our Leaf! But for those with longer commutes, the Elio is here to answer the call.

For those planning long family road trips: it's far cheaper to rent a car for the 1-trip per year that most families take, rather than buy an inefficient car to drive for the rest of the year.

Up here in Washington state, I usually see one or two Teslas every week, and I see Leafs almost every day (not including my own :p ) EVs are pretty popular out here on the West Coast, as too the Elio will be if Reservations-by-State is any indication.

DwnSth

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ahh... don't try and throw Tesla under the bus. At least they have products on the market. In my area (Sacramento, CA), they are a dime a dozen, especially where I work. The Model S is all over the downtown. However, back on topic. I highly doubt they'll miss any production dates this time, especially since the battery manufacturing plant in Nevada will be producing the batteries, not like what happened with the Model S..

Not trying to dis Tesla, just pointing out that Musk spent years and billions to bring this to market. He has yet to confirm a 2017 production date and most analyst think it will be 2018. Also the govt. rebates start phasing out quickly after that so it will be interesting to see what the un-subsidized market will be. Again, I like the concept of Tesla and for that matter electric vehicles. I just can't stand the warped ecological logic that they try to sell them with.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ahh... don't try and throw Tesla under the bus. At least they have products on the market. In my area (Sacramento, CA), they are a dime a dozen, especially where I work. The Model S is all over the downtown. However, back on topic. I highly doubt they'll miss any production dates this time, especially since the battery manufacturing plant in Nevada will be producing the batteries, not like what happened with the Model S. Elio...

I should have used that $1k for something else. I actually bought a new Q50 last month since this Elio car probably will never happen. It gets the worst gas mileage I have ever seen. ~12.7 mpg on average. Really bad choice.
Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I've been driving a Q50 for 2 years and it is, hands down, one of the best cars I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot of cars since 1959.
Our Q50 averages 27 mpg city/highway combined.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get what you're saying and agree with most of it. For all its faults, Tesla undoubtedly has had a dramatic effect on the automotive landscape and the big carmakers' reaction to it is evidence of that. In short, Tesla has made electric cars sexy and desirable in a way no other car maker has been able to achieve. And now they're trying to do that in a much more affordable package. I'm hoping Elio will eventually have a similar effect on the other end of the ICE spectrum.
Tesla's primary fault is that Musk is compelled to over design and engineer features and options into cars that HE wants......his company, his vision, his vehicle brand. What I've found following Tesla (a high technology alternative auto manufacturer) is their delays result from developing new technology into their concept vehicles..............engineering, designing, and tooling innovative new parts (not off the shelf parts). Musk's target date philosophy is that we guarantee delivery, but will build and deliver your new Tesla when it's right.........causing admirable delays. Tesla customers know Exactly what to expect when placing reservation deposits on their future Tesla Model 3.

The Elio is half a car. The Tesla model 3 is half a Tesla Model S. I agree with Sethodine's experienced views regarding EV's. I hope he is able to purchase my gently used Tesla Model 3 in five years, but don't take trade in Leafs. I drive under 10K miles per year, so it will be a cream puff Tesla.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I get they are two very different vehicles trying to accomplish different things It's amazing the public reaction to each. Tesla misses production date after productions date, over 800 million $ loss JUST last year and it's the company that will 'change the world' How many years has it been since the first Tesla rolled off a line. I still don't see any in my neck of the woods, this is their 3rd maybe 4th vehicle to market and they still can't give a production date. Elio is operating bare bones, has announced production of 100 units this year and has spent far less $'s than Musk has. I think we'll see 2017 production. I'm not anti tesla or anti electric vehicle, but I have a very nice choice of high mileage gas vehicles to choose from for a good bit less. The 200 mile range is a killer for me. My local driving will be in my ELIO, or my wrangler, and my distance driving is in my giant truck that gets 20 mpg. For the average person which is what the Model 3 is aimed at, it certainly won't make sense as a primary vehicle.
On the contrary, I don't know about you fellas but I signed up for my ELIO because I'm looking for a "FUN" car. So the fact that it can deliver a "promised" 84 mpg, American made with American labor are topping on the cake for me. Tesla model 3 while all electric have the range of 200+ miles that I need for my daily driving, and looking at their huge reservations so far, that's the range that's acceptable to them and the price is more affordable. I feel a bit sorry for people who bought the LEAF that paid close to 30K but didn't get as much fun factor as what the model 3 offers. 0-60 in under 6 seconds, zipping along almost silently and sipping no gas???? Come on now, if that's not "FUN" , then I don't know what is!!:D Not only does it drives on regular 4 wheels, one has to admit that it'll be much safer than the ELIO. EM got my 1K and I'm still hopeful and patiently waiting...Tesla will get my 1K and also will be waiting 'till next year but guess what, who do you think will be rolling off cars first and actually delivering it to their excited customers???? The one who's got the MONEY of course!!!! :D So Tesla lost 800 mil, so what, it's not my money but more importantly, they have more money to spend to make their cars more mainstream. Yes, ELIO will drive much longer, will be much cheaper, how much cheaper??? The base and "target price" to me is highly suspect. I've never seen any start up car company successfully introduced and roll off cars for that price before but that's why we're all here....got caught up in that low price hype. Still, nothing has change on EM's claim so if they are hopeful that they can deliver, so am I. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom