• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Model 3 Vs Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I never seem to see is for a typical recharge of a Tesla 3 or other EV's what is the cost of electricity to charge it up? How does that cost compare to the fuel cost for a ICE car traveling the same distance?
It is free if you do it at a Tesla recharge station.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I never seem to see is for a typical recharge of a Tesla 3 or other EV's what is the cost of electricity to charge it up? How does that cost compare to the fuel cost for a ICE car traveling the same distance?

Fueling our Nissan Leaf (EV) costs us between $25 to $35 per month. The car my wife was driving previous to that was $100+ per month for the same driving.

I have a question.

Does anyone know if non-Tesla EVs are, or will be, able to buy a charge at Tesla charging stations?
If they are (or will be... and I can't imagine it otherwise) Tesla may be losing money now, but as EVs become more common...
Tesla supercharger stations use a completely different socket than other DC-Direct supercharging--they are meant only for Teslas to use.
However, there are plenty of other DC supercharging stations that use either the CHAdeMO protocol (Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Subaru) or the Combined Charging System (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen). Note that not all of those companies have EVs to market, but they have agreed to use those systems. It is something of a "format war" right now, so who knows which protocol will win out.

Thankfully, ALL EVs sold in North America also have the J1772 connector for fast AC charging (7-10 hours for a full charge, depending on various factors).

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fueling our Nissan Leaf (EV) costs us between $25 to $35 per month. The car my wife was driving previous to that was $100+ per month for the same driving.

Tesla supercharger stations use a completely different socket than other DC-Direct supercharging--they are meant only for Teslas to use.
However, there are plenty of other DC supercharging stations that use either the CHAdeMO protocol (Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Subaru) or the Combined Charging System (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen). Note that not all of those companies have EVs to market, but they have agreed to use those systems. It is something of a "format war" right now, so who knows which protocol will win out.

Thankfully, ALL EVs sold in North America also have the J1772 connector for fast AC charging (7-10 hours for a full charge, depending on various factors).

Interesting!
Multiple incompatible standards.
That also implies that if you have one make BPV and purchase a non-compatible BPV make you will have to duplicate special charging systems at home or be locked into one standard.
How Microsoft / Apple like.
Built in incompatibilities to insure future sales.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting!
Multiple incompatible standards.
That also implies that if you have one make BPV and purchase a non-compatible BPV make you will have to duplicate special charging systems at home or be locked into one standard.
How Microsoft / Apple like.
Built in incompatibilities to insure future sales.

Not quite. As I mentioned, the J1772 socket is universal across North America, and these are by far the most common charging stations both in public or at home. I would estimate there are a hundred J1772 charging stations for every proprietary Supercharging station. Most people use these public stations while they are shopping or performing other time-consuming activities, so leaving the car hooked up for 2-4 hours isn't a burden, but it is not workable for cross-country driving unless you are taking a VERY casual roadtrip.

J1772 is actually the SAE protocol name, most of the time this is simply called "Level 2" charging.
"Level 1" is 110v trickle-charging, which may-or-may-not use the same J1772 connector. Our Leaf came with a trickle charger that is our sole charging method at home until we can afford the $500 for a 220v Level 2 home charging station. (Hidden cost of ownership? Perhaps, but if you are prepared in advance you could probably haggle one of these out of the car dealership).

Also worth noting is that Teslas have both 110v and 220v chargers built into the car. So they can opportunity charge at any highway rest stop or camp site with either a standard home power socket or an RV power plug.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not quite. As I mentioned, the J1772 socket is universal across North America, and these are by far the most common charging stations both in public or at home. I would estimate there are a hundred J1772 charging stations for every proprietary Supercharging station. Most people use these public stations while they are shopping or performing other time-consuming activities, so leaving the car hooked up for 2-4 hours isn't a burden, but it is not workable for cross-country driving unless you are taking a VERY casual roadtrip.

J1772 is actually the SAE protocol name, most of the time this is simply called "Level 2" charging.
"Level 1" is 110v trickle-charging, which may-or-may-not use the same J1772 connector. Our Leaf came with a trickle charger that is our sole charging method at home until we can afford the $500 for a 220v Level 2 home charging station. (Hidden cost of ownership? Perhaps, but if you are prepared in advance you could probably haggle one of these out of the car dealership).

Also worth noting is that Teslas have both 110v and 220v chargers built into the car. So they can opportunity charge at any highway rest stop or camp site with either a standard home power socket or an RV power plug.

So to put it in computer geek speech
J1772 is about like USB 1.0 and USB 2.0
The proprietary Tesla is like SCSI
???
Does that about cover it??

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So to put it in computer geek speech
J1772 is about like USB 1.0 and USB 2.0
The proprietary Tesla is like SCSI
???
Does that about cover it??

Add to that:
CHAdeMO is like Firewire (aka 1394)
Combined Charging System is like USB 3.0. (Not a perfect comparison, but it uses the J1772 socket in addition to a second socket for the supercharging).

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As you know, we mostly agree that Tesla vs Elio is like Apples vs Oranges.

Elio Motors has also stated they will likely offer the turbo in year 2, 3 or 4. I suspect the statement is alienating to the EV buyer.

Looking at the mountainous response to the Model 3. This green-buyer segment of the population should not be ignored.
Therefore, I think it would be good for EM to state they will be strongly considering an EV model in the future. That stance alone will encourage quite a few people. Of course such a move would put the Elio on Tesla's threats radar, for better or for worse....

Top Bottom