• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mojave, Ca Tour Stop

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two people on the tour team said the exhaust bulge is the final design. The production vehicle will have that same identical bulge.
Why? It is ugly. It is much larger than the exhaust pipe they are suppose to be hiding.
To provide for heat dissipation without blistering paint.
Is this bulge also covering other things? Brake lines? Wiring? Spare gas tank?
The exhaust fairing would not be the best place for brake lines and fuel.
Is it a side saddle bag for storage? (it is large enough) Perhaps it hinges down.
Tire changing tools? (Handy considering no spare tire)

See above comments.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BiloxiGeek, look under your own recent automobile. There ain't much insulation. Don't need much.
Won't be much heat coming from a sub-liter three-banger anyway.

I like Pistonboy's idea of stowing the tire change tools there, but I doubt it. The bulge is probably that big to give space for a long, tubular muffler similar to a Cherry Bomb, and some space to keep the cover cool like Mel suggests.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From what I see in the currently available pictures the exhaust on the Elio won't be nearly as exposed to air flow as on most any car on the road. And I know where the exhaust is on my Chevy and my Ford, they are no where near any body panels and paint. I think my thought still has validity.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the P5 exhaust bulge was a quick fix to get it ready for the LA Auto Show.
I find it hard to believe it is planned to stay this way.
I wonder is this is some sort of joke.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the P5 exhaust bulge was a quick fix to get it ready for the LA Auto Show.
I find it hard to believe it is planned to stay this way.
I wonder is this is some sort of joke.
According to EM and the marketing group, the bulge on the P5 is there as part of the final design.
Why is it the size and shape it is? Talk to EM, they are the only ones that can answer your question.

As for your design, I'm not going to pass judgement on it; again if you feel it's that much better, present it to the EM people.
I can provide all the contact information you'll need if you don't have it already.

Top Bottom