• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V100 -

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All I can say is HOORAY. The operation was successful.
https://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-car-with-a-hernia.6944/
Edit: I would also say I might have been happier to see the exhaust run straight shot, to end underneath the back shroud. Could have made for an interesting " bass reflex" type sound, and no visible exhaust exit. Oh well.
Yeah, but it would have killed a bunch of people booboo. CO poisoning.
That said, I thing having an exit low on the shroud would look great.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"The unibody frame has created a natural path for the exhaust to exit out near the rear tire on the right side (non-door side). " Refer to https://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/exhaust-1.jpg . Is the white "dot" on the lowest part of the side body panel the exhaust port, the end of the exhaust pipe? How is the body going to be protected from the heat of the exhaust? Will the exhaust pipe protrude far enough from the body to prevent the exhaust gases from harming the paint?
I would not read to much into these images EM has posted lately. I believe these images are not the final image, but just one of several possibles. This side exit may be just one they were considering.

In thinking about the front wheel covers. EM talked about reduction in drag by redesigning the covers, but what about brake cooling? When the brake engineers do their test, EM may have to give back some drag to get more cooling for the brakes.

EM is playing their cards very close to the vest. This makes me think that they are very close to a final design, and don't want to steal any of the thunder from when the final Elio is unveiled.

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, exhaust port engineering is a nightmare !
Side exhaust ports remind me of Shakespeare's Song of the Witches from the Macbeth:
"Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake; .....
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
Engine exhaust is a hell-broth. It has heat, chemicals, prolonged exposure and location on its menu of evils. The location has to deal with air currents and proximity to the body paint surface which is to remain pristine. The Elio engineers have their hands full with this one.
I googled "side exhaust" and "side exhaust damage" hoping to find pictures of exhaust damage. I managed just one hit:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...glass-repair-on-an-88-side-exhaust-cover.html
A formidable bezel sounds like a good beginning. The following image was included because of the protruding exhaust pipe:
http://s13.postimg.org/z2a1agm7r/exhaust_exit.jpg
I vote for the bezel being large and extending to the shroud.
P. S. Please remember that my engineering decisions carry the full weight of my liberal arts education.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would not read to much into these images EM has posted lately. I believe these images are not the final image, but just one of several possibles. This side exit may be just one they were considering.

In thinking about the front wheel covers. EM talked about reduction in drag by redesigning the covers, but what about brake cooling? When the brake engineers do their test, EM may have to give back some drag to get more cooling for the brakes.

EM is playing their cards very close to the vest. This makes me think that they are very close to a final design, and don't want to steal any of the thunder from when the final Elio is unveiled.
Just curious. With 55 hp and only having to stop, say, 1600 lbs, how much cooling do you reckon the brakes would need? It doesn't seem like they'd need much. I mean, each wheel will be slowing less than 800 lbs and probably as little as 533 or so.

Top Bottom