• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V121

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally the header piece:
Elio Motors Momentum v121

go.eliomotors.com_hs_fs_hubfs_bolt.png_ae556dc5f49ffe31484c52b6832f0af9.png

In a Momentum series, our Vice President of Engineering Jeff Johnston will answer some of the great questions that have come in from Elio Motors supporters.

*MSRP excludes destination/delivery charges, taxes, title, registration, and options/installation.

Certain statements in this email including, but not limited to, statements related to anticipated commencement of commercial production, targeted pricing and performance goals, and statements that otherwise relate to future periods are forward-looking statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are made and based on information available to the Company on the date of this email. Elio Motors assumes no obligation to update the information in this email.

Elio Motors 2942 North 24th Street Suite 114-700 Phoenix, AZ 85016 US

[Broken External Image]
The Elio Team posted: "Something new naturally invites curiosity. A great mind of the 20th century, Albert Einstein, is quoted as saying “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” The Elio is a new vehicle, which by its very nat"

New post on Elio Motors
s0.wp.com_i_emails_blavatar.png

Answers to Engineering Questions
by The Elio Team

Something new naturally invites curiosity. A great mind of the 20th century, Albert Einstein, is quoted as saying “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” The Elio is a new vehicle, which by its very nature invites and creates curiosity. As a part of our mission to bring a new vehicle to market, we have endeavored to take our supporters along the journey and provide a unique insight into the process. In a recent Elio blog, we invited our adherents to send in their inquisitive engineering questions. Today, we will answer some of these analytical queries.

When designing and engineering a new vehicle, thousands and thousands of decisions are made to finish the final product. The Elio project and vehicle is driven by four main “musts”: American made, safe, fuel-efficient, and affordable. In a Momentum series, our Vice President of Engineering Jeff Johnston will answer some of the great questions that have come in from Elio Motors supporters.

Q: In the recent details page, hill-start assist is mentioned. What is hill-start assist?

The term Hill-start assist refers to a type of braking which prevents a vehicle from rolling backward when facing a gradient angle when using a manual transmission. When a gradient angle is detected, the hill-start system prevents the vehicle from moving as the driver disengages the brake and clutch and presses the gas pedal.

Q: What is the bolt circle and number of lug nuts or lug studs?

The Elio will use a standard 4x100 mm bolt pattern. The tire size for the front is 135/80 R 15 and the rear tire is 175/65 R15. The rim’s nut is an M12 stud which will require an M19 standard socket wrench.

Q: Has any testing been conducted regarding hydroplaning?

Slow speed testing has been conducted, in conjunction with ABS testing, to ensure the Elio’s safety while driving through wet conditions. This testing has included driving at slow speeds through standing water, ice and gravel and the results have been positive. Elio owners can expect the Elio to perform similar to many four wheeled vehicles on the road today. Two divisions at Continental will lead the charge for testing everything related to the Elio tire leading up to the start of production.

Q: Will the Elio offer a steering knuckle/front suspension anti-squat damper/etc.?

We received a wide variety of inquiries wondering if the Elio will come standard with features typically found on luxury/performance vehicles. Some of the suggested features alone would actually cost more than our targeted base price! Therefore, they will not be included in the Elio as it does not meet one of the four musts (affordable.) Many reasonable options will be available through our ePlus: My Elio, My Way option program, and through the aftermarket.

Next week, Mr. Johnston will answer some excellent questions we received about the Elio’s engine. Thank you to everyone that sent in their questions.

Finally, our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by Hurricane Harvey. During times of distress, we can all come together as Americans and help each other. Stay strong!

The Elio Team | August 30, 2017 at 6:28 pm |

pixel.wp.com_b.gif_d03933dc02331d64024ffdd9ed817be3.gif

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wrote to them about the stability of only having three wheels. The concern is when cornering at high speeds, is it more likely to roll over? Here is their response:

This is a very stable ride vehicle given the Elio has the same front track as seen in many vehicles on the road today. The wide front wheelbase (110” from center of front wheels to center of rear wheel), the wide front wheel track (66.8” center rim to center rim) and its overall length (160.5″) share similar measurements found in traditional four-wheel vehicles. Because of this, we have engineered a very high lateral “g-force” capability in the Elio. In fact the lateral “g’s” exceed many other “performance” vehicles on the road today.

Best,
The Elio Team

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
M 19 is the same as 3/4 in. I wonder if old Ford 4 bolt wheels would fit? Most all 4 bolt wheel are similar. Just wondering. If that's the case there is lots of custom wheels out there.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
M 19 is the same as 3/4 in. I wonder if old Ford 4 bolt wheels would fit? Most all 4 bolt wheel are similar. Just wondering. If that's the case there is lots of custom wheels out there.

Since they're 4-bolters you can easily get them redrilled to whatever 4-bolt pattern fits the wheels that trip your trigger without any stress crack issues [Clocked 45 deg. from the original holes], but you will have to press out the studs and move them to the "Summer wheels" positions. Put snow tires on the Elio stock rims and throw on the fairings in the Winter. When the weather turns nice again bolt on the alloys you like and toss the fairing in the garage!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess I have been out of the new car world for quite a while. I have never heard of "hill-start assist".

But, there are so few manual transmissions sold today, perhaps that is why I have not heard of it.

How many members have hill-start assist?

Top Bottom