• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V160

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The way I remember it, a company (possible Linamar) was suppose to come to the plant and teach Elio Workers how to make the engine. Once they got the hang on it, they was suppose to ride off into the sunset.
You could be right.

"[Linamar] will collaborate with Elio Motors to create engine manufacturing capabilities at the Elio Motors’ assembly plant in Louisiana to support the high-volume production of the Elio engine."

“We’re looking forward to working with Linamar to manufacture the engine in our Shreveport facility as we move it toward commercial production.”

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss we've been down this road before. The only answer we would get is a simple "watch the Momentum and the Blog for updates".
Tell you what, I'll ask them anyway. Want to bet on the answer?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss we've been down this road before. The only answer we would get is a simple "watch the Momentum and the Blog for updates".
The SEC probably has a gag order on Elio. So, they can't tell you anything about business plans, timelines or fundraising. This is most likely why Elio has been silent on all of these subjects.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Tell them you have been watching, and your not seeing anything new.
Ask them to at least try to come up with something that hasn't been ask 100 times already.
And make sure to put it as ASK and not a DEMAND and that you have been waiting for new news, not the same shit reruns.
But make sure to include polite and ask nicely but firmly, maybe you'll get somewhere.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tell them you have been watching, and your not seeing anything new.
Ask them to at least try to come up with something that hasn't been ask 100 times already.
And make sure to put it as ASK and not a DEMAND and that you have been waiting for new news, not the same shit reruns.
But make sure to include polite and ask nicely but firmly, maybe you'll get somewhere.
Best advice I've heard here in a long time. you hit the nail on the head Cross.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Best advice I've heard here in a long time. you hit the nail on the head Cross.
Thanks, but it's true, we all have a lot of questions we would like answered.
And they are the only people that can answer them.
But we will have to ask nicely.
If we ask any questions, that's how it has to be done.
They are the only ones that can answer them.
But if we come off as some screaming lunatics, they will close all communications, and then we have defeated ourselves.
Who ever asks them anything, it will have to be done calmly, and in a non-threating manner.
But if you want answers, they are the only ones that can answer them.

OK breath deeply, and shake off any hostility.

Ok feel better? Good, now go and compose some detailed questions you would like to try finding answers to, write them down, and leave them till tomorrow. If it's a good question, it will wait a day. If it's not, throw it out, walk away, and come back later and rewrite your question.
Then do the same thing.
Write it down, wait till your in the right place, wait a day, read the question, if it still sounds right, hit send.
Doesn't sound quite right yet, throw it out, take a walk, come back when you feel in the right frame of mind, and then re-write the question.

Repeat as many times as it takes.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got a reply about the engine. Reading between the lines, the engineering is not done yet.

(Coss, you won that bet.)

Elio.jpeg

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jun 22, 14:54 EDT

Thanks for checking in!
The primary application of the engine is for the vehicle and everything else is secondary. Nothing else will happen with the engine until we start production.
Thanks again!

Best,
The Elio Team

Jun 22, 11:22 EDT

EM was supposed to have assigned the rights to manufacture and sell the engine to Linamar, who was also going to manufacture it for EM.

Supposedly Lindamar would also be able to sell this engine themselves for other applications.

Are they still waiting for engineering to be done or are they waiting for the Elio autocycle to start large-scale production before they start selling the engine?

Thanks.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when smart cars started hitting the road, smart dealers had some brochures. also, like Elio, they had a info page we could print out, and the members on the smart forum came up with answers to the top 10 questions we could print.
I just printed up a bunch of those and stuck them under the wipers.

Way back in "08" when I got my smart, I posted this. on the smart forum.

When will the questions end?
I've only had the little feller four days but I'm going to leave him home for a few days so I can get some work done.

from the smart forum
The problem is I have to park out front of my business. Of course I have to go out and show everybody my new toy. I've been printing out David's answers to the top ten questions from David's blog.

I hoping that, in general, people travel the same route every day at the same time, so after a week or so the regular passers by will have stopped and checked it out. Then I'll still have to make time at the gas station and restaurants.
On the plus side, so far everybody reactions have been positive.
tango_face_smile.png

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the engine, back in May 2017 when Elio released the year end 2016 SEC filing, they had this:
While Elio Motors will be responsible for specialized tooling and equipment, Linamar will provide an estimated $45 to $50 million in general equipment to support the production requirements.

As of the most current SEC filing, only one mention of Linamar:
We have already established letters of intent with industry-leading suppliers to provide the Elio's systems and components, such as Linamar Corporation for the engine

So, I don't understand why the $45 to $50 million is left out today as opposed to a year ago (along with Aisin and Hyundai Dymos). I would have thought that would be something you'd want people to see because it's a big investment. No matter what, it looks like the engine will be in the Elio and up and running in production before Linimar will get to produce some more to sell for industrial use. Honestly, it would need to be converted to run on natural gas because in the industrial engine world, diesel and natural gas are the dominant ones out there, not gasoline. This sounds like a back burner project for around late 2020 when Elio is running at full capacity.

Top Bottom