• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V167

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I changed my mind. Giving Americans the choice of having DRL's or not by a simple zero cost engineering change and giving them the choice if they want them or not by a twist of the left wrist is the best way to go. How about we just wait until the feds tell us what is best for us, because that seems to be the opinion around here.

I can agree with this. My car has an auto setting like most but also has an "off" setting. My older Pontiac did not. I'm good with choices.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My Dodge does have auto sensing, if you enable them.
Yes, you have to have it to the setting of having them on or not, and it's auto, if you set it to that position.
I leave mine in auto-sense all of the time, the problem is, if you go through a tunnel.
If you go into the tunnel, it will turn on, but not right away, soon after, but not on as soon as you go into the tunnel.
This way it avoids flashing them when you go under an overpass, that would be irritating especially to the car right in front of you.
So I can agree, DRL can be good, but I think they still have to work out a few "bugs" to have them operate the way a person "thinks" <fat chance>
The way Dodge does it with the auto lights is ok, but that system has been around a long time.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not really really, there are three flaws here
1- DRLs work in conjunction with automatic headlights so the driver should have no issue allowing the car to decide based on ambient light I said on cars that DON'T have auto headlights.
2- DRLs do NOT turn on the dash lights either. People don't see the DRLs as they are on the front and dim but they will see if their dash lights are on Not true on the car I rented in Wisconsin. The dash lights came on and the DRLs were not dim.
3- When DRLs are needed tails are not, which loops back into problem 1.

Some people might choose to run DRLs instead of headlights and override the car but those people do so at will and not by mistake.

This is actually from a fallacy that modders use but their real goal is that they don't like the looks of DRLs. There was a similar study that said the shadow of a car is better than a DRL because the DRL would eliminate shadows and thus cloak the car like a Klingon Bird of Prey.

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Why is the dome light over the steering wheel? Is this the only interior light? The light from the stereo won't be much. My concern here is the rear seat and the trunk. Anyone else think it will be underlit based on the blog description?

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why is the dome light over the steering wheel? Is this the only interior light? The light from the stereo won't be much. My concern here is the rear seat and the trunk. Anyone else think it will be underlit based on the blog description?

It will be but it's not uncommon either. My Toyota 86 is like that. The light is great up front but in the back you need a flashlight.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some people might choose to run DRLs instead of headlights and override the car but those people do so at will and not by mistake.

This is actually from a fallacy that modders use but their real goal is that they don't like the looks of DRLs. There was a similar study that said the shadow of a car is better than a DRL because the DRL would eliminate shadows and thus cloak the car like a Klingon Bird of Prey.

You ruined the quotes but we seem to be thinking of different scenarios anyway.
-DRLs are best when paired with automatic headlights
- I've yet to see a car with the same internal illumination with and without headlights. I don't know what you mean by DRLs weren't dim. By dim I mean they are brighter than park lights (to be seen in the sun) but below full headlight output. Actually I will stand corrected, if you could turn on just the DRLs and dash lights one could think that they just had really poor headlights.

In short the only reason you have to dislike DRLs is more with people using them wrong and I still think those people know what they are doing. We won't ever change our minds on it.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Elio dome light?
The dome light in the Elio is on the B-pillar, so it does light the rear seat area, and the driver shoulder in front.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Elio dome light?
The dome light in the Elio is on the B-pillar, so it does light the rear seat area, and the driver shoulder in front.
So,,, are you saying Elio is wrong?
Interior

In terms of interior lighting, the Elio will be comparable to many other vehicles on the road today. A dome light, which is located directly above the steering wheel, comes standard in the Elio. Both the standard instrument panel and stereo will provide auxiliary lighting to the cabin.[/QUOTE]

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well here's the pic of the dome light that I have from a little while back
dome light.jpg

And it's the only one I could find quickly. It's not overhead, it's on the B-pillar

Guess I'll have to send a copy to EM and ask when It changed.

Top Bottom