• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V93?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is NOT federally classified as an autocycle yet. The requirements for MCs I described are in there. What's NOT in there is the Feds classifying an enclosed MC (the Elio for example) as an "Autocycle". That has NOT happened yet. The various helmet stipulations have to do with the individual state laws and nothing at all to do with Federal standards for compliance certification. Nothing.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Elio...+With+American+Association+of+...-a0349500255

...and this is from 2013...Nuff said!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a problem for Elio to get an exemption for the headlight requirements. It should only take one NHTSA person looking at it to go "yup, an exemption makes sense for this".
Proscriptive laws like this one are designed to keep people's expectations roughly the same: when you see a single headlight or two close headlights, you know it's a motorcycle without having to see the rest of the vehicle in the dark. This allows you to drive with the expectation that the other vehicle is a motorcycle.
However, the Elio is not like other motorcycles (it has a front track wider than some cars) so it makes sense to set people's expectations that the oncoming/passing vehicle is a car-like vehicle rather than a motorcycle-like vehicle.

I'd be more surprised if NHTSA didn't say, "Well, we'll let the headlights go, but we want amber reflectors on the outside of those fenders."

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NO! It is not 'nuff said and you are completely wrong.
Read it! That's simply a recommendation to the states about operators' licensing.

"The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

The NHTSA is NOT the AAMVA. This compliance issue has nothing to do with another agency's recommendation about the individual states' laws on helmets and licensing. For compliance certification, the Elio does NOT have a federal classification as an "autocycle" at this time...

No matter how hard you try to read that into publications and articles.

As far as the 8" requirement not being in the table at the end of the pdf, you're right. It wasn't included there.
But somewhere in there is a disclaimer to the effect that those are simply tables and do not include the complete requirements in their entirety.
I've been through that a number of times about that document over the years. As a courtesy to minimize confusion, I've deleted the pdf link.
However, it clearly states what I've said in the complete CSR title 49 requirements at the remaining link.

Good link regarding the licensing though.

Nuff said.

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd be more surprised if NHTSA didn't say, "Well, we'll let the headlights go, but we want amber reflectors on the outside of those fenders."
I hope you're right Seth.
But it doesn't work that way. There's a lot of red tape, recommendations, proposed changes, studies, tests, time limits for challenges and shifting of responsibility up and down through the entire agency to deal with. Changes are few, have to be justified and are usually slow in happening.
Everyone wants to be sure their butts are covered. It took one manufacturer that I spoke with three years to get their vehicle certified.

There's only been two "exemptions" so far, and those were completely unofficial and off the books.
The two reasons they were given a "look the other way" pass is that both vehicles had side-to-side seating and are WIDE.

The Tanom Invader is 83" wide.
The Campgna T-Rex is 78" wide.

The Elio has a track (center rim to center rim) of 66.8"

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are we there yet ? I think before, or when Elio starts production, there should be a finalized federal autocycle definition.
H.R.2892 - Autocycle Safety Act
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2892/text
booboo, even if that is passes someday, it doesn't make the center headlamp issue go away.
They'd still either have to comply with CSR title 49 CFR 571.108 or haggle...
An (official or unofficial) exemption out of the feds where others have failed.

From that proposed bill...
“(4) complies with the motor vehicle safety standards for motorcycles, as set forth in part 571 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, relating to—
“(A) brake hoses (FMVSS 106);
“(B) lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment (FMVSS 108);"

(Ditto on the LEDs... I can't for the life of me imagine why they'd go with incandescent.)

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NO! It is not 'nuff said and you are completely wrong.
Read it! That's simply a recommendation to the states about operators' licensing.

"The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

The NHTSA is NOT the AAMVA. This compliance issue has nothing to do with another agency's recommendation about the individual states' laws on helmets and licensing. For compliance certification, the Elio does NOT have a federal classification as an "autocycle" at this time...

No matter how hard you try to read that into publications and articles.

As far as the 8" requirement not being the the table at the end of the pdf, you're right. It wasn't included there.
But somewhere in there is a disclaimer to the effect that those are simply tables and do not include the complete requirements in their entirety.
I've been through that a number of times about that document over the years. As a courtesy to minimize confusion, I've deleted the pdf link.
However, it clearly states what I've said in the complete CSR title 49 requirements at the remaining link.

Good link regarding the licensing though.

Nuff said.

The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

Come on...Completely wrong? :rolleyes:;):D

Top Bottom