• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Monty Python, or 'why' does impressionism work?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everything 'Monty' is popular to certain generations in the US (as you know). But it was super-crazy popular in the northwest US where I finished out my childhood. To those who don't know, 'Monty' is a cover word for naked, and nude, but more so to naked, meaning totally exposed. I think I heard an Australian (not Mark Bex) explain, 'The Full Monty' is to be nude, contextually, in front of a crowd.
So my first four words above is probably an admission for the poor state of people in general. :-)

The other thing about Monty Python (MP), is multiple intelectual jokes embedded inside apparently slapstick or silly comedy. So do you see the turn around, the flip? Monty Python, is not 'totally exposed', it's very much hidden, starting just below the surface. It's VERY un Python for me to say all of that. I unwrapped it for you, un-twisting the snake. You know that snake? (a.k.a. society) choking the crap out of us sometimes?

So now you have a hint of what that name means, at least to me. (I can think of 4 paradoxical ways to look at it)
More cultural context...
In programming, considering Micorsoft is in the NW USA...., and programmers I knew like MP;
Python is a multiparadigm, general-purpose, interpreted, high-level programming language.
And note that there is such a thing as 'Python Naked Objects' (interpreted => impressionistic)

A Dutch programmer named Guido van Rossum made Python in 1991. He named it after the television program Monty Python's Flying Circus. Many Python examples and tutorials include jokes from the show. Python is an interpreted language.

And LIfe-Of-Brian played to that misdirection. Nudity was not the point, not the deeper parody. Maybe our sillyness about surface issues, maybe that was the point. As one of the last 'Monty' adventures, they were kind of exposing thier secret, in a gross way. Parody over parody. Joking about our reaction to the joke. Classic impressionisum gets involved here as well, it get's deep, very deep.. look it up, how does impressionisum work?,, but go one step further, "'why' does impressionism work?"

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Soooo, for example, which Monty Python movie had all the vomitting in it? You know that one? Was it Time-Bandits? OR '...Of Brian'
Edited: Found it... scene from 'Meaning of Life'

So what was the Joke? To me it was very not worth it. I didn't see the humor. None.

But I did see it in the theater, and yes, about four people left abruptly near the end of that sequence. So now I do get it
and it makes for a funny story, at least for some people, in a mean way. i.e. you can make a movie that will make people sick, and that's funny?

My brothers are sadistic, and yes they would think that was very funny. Sooooo, I suggest you watch it with others, but don't
watch that sequence youself. Instead, look at the faces of those around you. I won't laugh at that, but my brothers would.

Better still, take someone you want to know better. Find out what they thought was funny, point out those faces too. OK, now you know.
Having done that, now I may not like to hang out with either one of you. :-)

I will never watch that movie again. Ha! All other MP is OK for me, Ari-Safe.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'why' does impressionism work?"....

In the confusion where things are not completely defined with a solid (line, surface or identity), the perciever fills it in. Often it is what the body expects or when still not fully delineated, what the mind prefers it to be. A splash of color may not mean anything to anyone, but in context of a design it can be a full story.

Sometimes an impressionist, doesn't have one solid message, he is just giving you a context where you can find your own.
(Remember Python? It's a context. And Monty? So now we have 'Naked Context'?, one that will eat you up?)

So when you exaggerate some observations in life up to the point of silliness and present that, what the audiance will do is fill in the context, and understand the story from that point of view. This shows more about the audiance than it does the writter, or even the story itself. This why MP does not like to define exactly why they came up with the name Monty Python.

So here is possibly a terrifiing question, why do you like horror movies? Really?
(your assumptions about my question, my motivations, expose your own fears, and desires, not mine)

Stephen King knows this well, he plays to that. He unfolds a map where your fears can wander around a bit.
He doesn't really need to understand your fears all that deeply, just how to put the right elements in an imaginary map.

So what map will play this out in an entertaining way? So again, why do you like horror movies?

I will make a prediction, once you understand your self fully, maybe spiritually, you won't like horror movies any more, because you won't need them to play that kind of story out for you. You have already confronted your fears.

In my point of view, Monty Python is deeper than Stephen King, while the reverse seems true to most of us.
But if you look at Stephen King as a comdian, well now you got something. But 'who' is the joke about, in that case?

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, why does this have anything to do with the Elio, the Bex or cars in general? (Lordy, do I have to spell it out? :-) )

One example of many:
Ever notice how some new models are vaguely like two other models you know of, even like one from history and the other modern? Or how it seems like the newer Camaro reminds you of a Corvette, yet not?

It's not just simple plagiarism. Well it shouldn't be at least. Now the new model will hopefully attract buyers that typically like those other two cars, provided the art of it clicks in the suptle parts of thier minds.

If you make it too obvious, the reaction is dismissed. But at some level of indeterminate, the effect is viseral.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 'Monty' in Monty Python's Flying Circus had nothing to do with nudity. From wikipedia:

The title Monty Python's Flying Circus was partly the result of the group's reputation at the BBC. Michael Mills, the BBC's Head of Comedy, wanted their name to include the word "circus" because the BBC referred to the six members wandering around the building as a circus, in particular, "Baron Von Took's Circus", after Barry Took, who had brought them to the BBC.[5] The group added "flying" to make it sound less like an actual circus and more like something from World War I. The group was coming up with their name at a time when the 1966 Royal Guardsmen song Snoopy vs. the Red Baron had been at a peak. Freiherr Manfred von Richthofen, the World War I German flying ace known as The Red Baron, commanded the Jagdgeschwader 1 squadron of planes known as "The Flying Circus".

The words "Monty Python" were added because they claimed it sounded like a really bad theatrical agent, the sort of person who would have brought them together, with John Cleese suggesting "Python" as something slimy and slithery, and Eric Idle suggesting "Monty".[6] They later explained that the name Monty "...made us laugh because Monty to us means Lord Montgomery, our great general of the Second World War".[7]

They weren't above a little nudity, but that's more a British thing. As a high school/college student, I never understood why British TV was able to show stuff that would never have been allowed in the states (which, in the 70's mostly meant ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS, although Python was on PBS, so...).

Top Bottom