• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

More Fake News About Elio Motors

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"What are you thoughts on the Elio Motors P5? Will it come to fruition?"

I guess the Elio cardboard cutout at that reveal and the pictures that thousands of people saw, sat in took video's of it driving from the trailer into the show at the LA Auto Show wasn't really the P5? And the motor was an old Geo Metro motor that got cleaned up and painted to look like the IAV motor, right?
Or don't they actually come out from under their rock very often.
I wonder which it is?
What a bunch of haters.
I am a bit curious though if this type of hack piece is just the regular type of taking my advantag of something or whether it's got a "different" agenda, suggesting that others may see EM as more and f a threat with the progress they're making. I really wonder some times about Jo Boras, like his article back in October, came across as if he has an interest in the company not succeeding.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ambulance chasers get so much charge out of it, some are willing to cause an incident, just to have another go at it.

As for haters, in face to face interactions people are not much willing to confront others. But on-line you can trash talk with few risks, and hey it's obviously fun for some. So news and blogs, have figured out they can get attention by feeding the fire.

I think the two facets, "one born every minute" and "inevitable maturity" push out in opposite directions. Many of us with experience do not take seriously hyper talk, yet others who are less savvy or just like the drama buy in or even pump it up. All the extra input does increase the body of evidence as well as increase the 'signal-to-noise' ratio.

Anyway, the one constant seems to be that diversity in the online experience is expanding. And being wise in your own arena more important than ever.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
^^ Absolutely right. I've been involved in a series of automotive forums for over 15 years as participant, content provider, editor, and moderator, and one thing never seems to change: there will always be trolls who lurk behind their keyboards attempting to appear relevant. Most of these people have absolutely no credentials, bring no inside information, and consistently pontificate over what is at best, speculation. They receive so little recognition in their lives that they use assumed authority and seek to create controversy wherever they go. "Professing to be wise, they became fools . . ." The best thing we can do is to ignore them. Don't be stampeded by the claims of faceless writers of questionable authority; the truth is out there, to coin a phrase, and the trolls are going to look really foolish in the long run.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if EM would consider suing the magazine for libel. "Non-existent engine", "vaporware" and the like are terms which have meaning and can negatively impact stock sales. Given that the P5 was shown at the LA Auto Show WITH the "non-existent engine" AND that this "article" appeared AFTER the show (when the truth or falsehood of the statements could be checked) show a callous disregard for truth. It is NOT opinion, and at the very least EM's legal department should send them a threatening letter, backed up by legal action if the magazine ignores them.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if EM would consider suing the magazine for libel. "Non-existent engine", "vaporware" and the like are terms which have meaning and can negatively impact stock sales. Given that the P5 was shown at the LA Auto Show WITH the "non-existent engine" AND that this "article" appeared AFTER the show (when the truth or falsehood of the statements could be checked) show a callous disregard for truth. It is NOT opinion, and at the very least EM's legal department should send them a threatening letter, backed up by legal action if the magazine ignores them.
The way that presidents treat this is an interesting model. I call it 'give it no energy' or 'don't grace it with any credit'. Truly, a public figure like EM or PE, or a president, needs others, like us to address it. Rubber stamping obtuse people with 'idiot' does seems to do some good, but Paul or any celebrity doing such a thing extracts a cost from their public image.
But in such an activity as retort language, I feel providing a clear and reasoned factual check, this has the biggest pull on the movers and shakers of this world. These are the people most likely to turn spoken controversy into physical action.
Once the Elio is out, I don't think we'll care at all how the trolls and naysayers feel about themselves.

AUTOOMOBILE is a Malaysian rag. Since when did facts matter in that part of the world?

Speaking of which, the political agenda does stick out like the 'Titanic' iceberg. They obviously would like to minimalize any US manufacturer. Fine with us, feeling like there is no threat, just means anyone dedicated to overseas interests will not muster up competition until way down the road. Being dismissed out of hand does have it's benefits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom