• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Question

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.. . Any suggestions

What Smitty901 said,

Ride a motorcycle ,ski ,golf it does not madder what you do or don't do.

Many things are out of our control but we learn to manage risk and make plans for when bad things happen. Cowering in a corner and being afraid is never the right answer; you would simply miss out on life. Getting training, learning, practicing, and all number of things including using safety devices, choosing appropriate riding partners, avoiding dangerous routes, not having a beer when riding (or driving), etc. will help mitigate the risk.

Insurance is one approach to ensuring your family has some support if bad things happen but I wouldn't rely on it. Save and invest. Buy with cash if you can and only buy on credit if necessary.Not having or limiting debt is something that is entirely within your control. Not having debt when bad things happen would help significantly when dealing with the loss of income.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a phone call into the dealarship today... I saw a beautiful and comfortable Vulcan 900 custom http://www.fl-motorsports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=153572&pov=2915285 that is EXTREMELY loud and fits my body PERFECTLY.

I think I will get a helmet there and purchase the bike... however I really want to make sure it is the right thing. My wife says its ok... but in the back of my mind I am always worried that somehow some freak thing will happen and I leave her with the car payment and bike payment and rent... Alone. Thats the only thing holding me back from doing it today lol. .. .. . Any suggestions

I didn't realize just how cheap those metrics are. Price-wise I mean.

Bike looks clean...seat is a little over the top, but otherwise decent looking.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Not having or limiting debt is something that is entirely within your control. Not having debt when bad things happen would help significantly when dealing with the loss of income.

This is how I am trying to do it...and great advice!

Right now, my bike and vehicles are paid off...this is the ONLY reason I am even thinking about getting the ELIO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am always amazed at the large number of people that give up riding often because somebody they know crashed or they just decided it was unsafe.

We experience risks everyday. Recognizing those risks allows us to minimize them. Educating ourselves and getting training further helps to minimize those risks. Sometimes it is appropriate to abandon behavior that is risky but I hope I never decide motorcycling is something I have to abandon.
Age and/or knee injury................unless you go from bike to trike conversion.........or better yet an enclosed cabin trike allowing you some continued measure of comfortable and 5 star safety rated motorcycling.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Age and/or knee injury................unless you go from bike to trike conversion.........or better yet an enclosed cabin trike allowing you some continued measure of comfortable and 5 star safety rated motorcycling.

Yes, physical issues can certainly take away the ability to ride and again, I hope that day never comes for me.

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys. I think I am going to take the logical wise advice and not get a loan. I am going to buy an elio when mine gets here with the extra money I would've put on the bike. Plus its safer and I don't have debt.... Hands down winning all the way around. Plus seeing I am 1000 invested in the elio I kinda have to buy it lol :p

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't realize just how cheap those metrics are. Price-wise I mean.

Bike looks clean...seat is a little over the top, but otherwise decent looking.
They pretty much give them used metrics away. They make a special sign for them It say free to good home.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still have chills,
Imagine, riding down a suburban street, 30 in a 25. The other car comes out to the end of the drive, she looks right at you, and goes anyway. You are close enough to toss a six pack at her.
Then something wakes up inside the driver, she panic stops right across your path, mouth open, eyes bulging. If she could see your face behind the visor, you are too. At the end of it, by shear dumb luck, or by help of the divine, your choice, only scratches on the tank, helmet and a bent mirror. (broken signal etc)
Still after two of those, one women, one man, I rode for many years. yep, I agree..."But you can't live life on the porch."
However, now I'm too slow to react well. Getting an Elio will make up for a lot. I'll open the windows up a lot, and be happy.

It's very good advise, get lots of practice. But on the street, it's trial by fire. I did lots of off road trail ridding, nothing fancy. But it forced me to use the different brakes with wide variation and dynamics where the grip on the road wasn't perfect. THAT is what actually saved me from the events above. My body (and spirit) knew what to do auto'magic'ally.

Last edited:

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I still have chills,
Imagine, riding down a suburban street, 30 in a 25. The other car comes out to the end of the drive,

At this point, you are already in position to grab the brake and clutch and have rolled off the throttle. Eyes watching the front wheel for movement, not the driver as it is easier to see the car move by the wheel turning.

Always expect the idiot to pull out! I will usually blip the throttle which does two things...clutch is in so I am slowing a bit and it usually snaps some reality into the driver that something is actually coming their way.

Only works with "non-stock" pipes.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I did lots of off road trail ridding, nothing fancy. But it forced me to use the different brakes with wide variation and dynamics where the grip on the road wasn't perfect. THAT is what actually saved me from the events above. My body (and spirit) knew what to do auto'magic'ally.

Raced competitively doing hare scrambles...basically a 3 hour race through the woods. Very grueling, but like you said, you learn to use so many different techniques. Skills that the late-life riders can never gain.

I actually failed the written test because I was over-thinking the braking questions! I had been riding motorcycles for 30 years at that point and even had a talk with the officer administering the test. He agreed that some of the questions were actually not meant to be "that thought out" and in the end we decided that all braking questions were best answered with "both brakes on". Probably the best answer for a noob, but not always the best to actually control the bike...

Top Bottom