• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Question

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please do some more home work on buying vehicles before making that deal it is over priced and out of line for an 883.
I am a Harley rider and owner and have been for a life time , I buy a new one every 2-3 years and it takes 15 minutes to make the deal. That is no deal. Right now most dealers are give large discounts on 883's,72's and iron models

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Its 60 months at 3.99%. I can pay it off in two years with 600 a month; also with 1000 down they are putting the price at 227 and change for 60 months. From what you guys have said it seems to be pretty pricey.

The bikes total OTD price with tax, tag, and titling and setup is 13 and change I believe
Kelly Blue Book puts an 2014 883 Iron trade-in value right at $5700, the payments they suggest over 60 months plus your down payment put the total cost of new over $15,000.

- The MSRP for the bike is $8,400
- The safety classes have no $ value because you'd get them for free in a straight-up deal.
- Tax and license - if collected by the dealer and included in the financing - would bring the total price to around $9200 here.
- Screaming Eagle exhaust is $500 list, but you should expect ~25% discount on any gear/parts/install labor purchases when bundled with a new bike purchase
- Stage 1 flash upgrade is ~$100 list (less 25%)
- Riding gear, maybe $500 depending on how much and what price point - probably lower end of their price range.
- Harley's extended warranties are priced to make money on the average rider - less than 3,500 miles per year. The standard warranty is already 2 years/unlimited miles, so unless you're planning on keeping the bike for several years and thousands of miles, any ESP is likely not worth it.

The bike/gear/safety classes as described are worth about $10k, and the Dealer would be making healthy profits at that level. Total costs of $14k/$15k means that is a dealer trying to take advantage of you (remember, they make money on the financing, too). As Smitty said - "RUN AWAY!". I'd add "and never, ever go back to that dealer". 883's can be found used all over Craig's list, eBay and Cycle Trader. They're starter bikes in the Harley world so you'll find lots of folks who move up to something larger, often after only a single season of light use. I think you'd do much better purchasing a low-mileage used bike and saving the price of another Elio.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
good job on the deal I really like the new 883's but am kinda of partial to the forty eight,that is if I didn't have my Vrod.
That's what I have. A mint 2011 with a whole 250 miles on it. :S
hdsig.jpg

Last edited:

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
They called today and dropped the price to 150 a month. However my question still remains, do I need gap coverage cuz that is almost 2k according to the sheet.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I paid about $150 a month for my Dyna in 2006. I traded in a 2004 Suzuki Volusia 800 which I had bought brand new and only got $3200 trade in.

I don't recall seeing why you are buying the bike.

Is it to commute or just for play?

Do you plan on doing any touring with your wife on the back or just putting around a little? I know you said the bike fit you, but there is a big difference between sitting on it and then actually riding it...i can't see how you wouldn't feel cramped on it.

I think you should step back and be totally honest with yourself...are you really going to ride the bike or are you going to be another guy who just wants to say they have a Harley but don't ride?

The better value I see in this thread is the Metric bike...if it sits around, it was not a big investment so no great loss.

The Sporty, is a lot more money and if you don't ride it, will be a big loss as they don't really hold value.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I get caught up in the excitement of things and then lots of money later...well, you know, I'm out lots of money!

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They called today and dropped the price to 150 a month. However my question still remains, do I need gap coverage cuz that is almost 2k according to the sheet.
I'm never comfortable looking only at the payments - just because I can to make the payments doesn't mean it's a good deal. I always have to look at the total cost.

In the space of a couple of days, they've re-structured a deal that can lower your payments by $100/month - a 40% cut!. If it's still the same equipment package and still the same 60 month term, that's $6,000 over the life of the loan. IOW, they were trying to stick it to you big time when you first walked in their door.

Is that a dealer you will trust?

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah. I got the official numbers 182 without paint protection they gave me the numbers and said it was freight and build and tax tag title. My interest is 2.95 and only 901 over the whole loan. Suggestions?

Elvisthird

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I know some of the fellow elio owners here have a motorcycle.

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2014 Yamaha Star Bolt to hold me over until my elio comes in.... I just was curious... I havent riden since being a crazy college guy (I had a 2003 YZF 600r) and was a complete idiot on it. However, I am now into the cruisers and wanted to know if anyone has wiped out or near wipe out. My wife said its ok but I want her to know that its safe and it depends on my awareness and riding with my fellow friends (who have bikes). I just want to hear it from you veteran riders.

(this would be my fifth year riding, but my 9th if I didnt stop four years ago)

My advice is to wait for Elio which has three wheels, far better than two.

Top Bottom