• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring ....

The vehicle is now classified as a motorcycle: Cars are defined as having four wheels.
This is a simple-minded definition, but, then, consider the people who wrote it -- and that nobody had imagined a serious 'automobile" with 3 wheels when the legal definition was drafted.

In the long run, being defined as a motorcycle will have very negative effects on Elio Motors. No matter what they actually achieve in terms of safety standards, the very word "motorcycle" is chilling to many, many people -- especially to women. Motorcycles, people think, are dangerous -- and so they are. If it's classed as a motorcycle, it must be dangerous, right? To expect thought from the buying public is asking a lot ...

In the short run, Elio benefits from the motorcycle classification. I don't have a list of all the safety requirements from which the Elio can be exempted, but I imagine it's extensive. Not that Paul Elio WANTS to avoid auto safety standards. (I'd like to see such a list; do any forum members have one)

The main advantage for Elio in being classified as a motorcycle is that he can avoid the restrictions most states have placed on the sale of cars, requiring dealerships be established to handle all sales. This is slamming Tesla in many states, especially New Jersey.

I do not know for sure, but suspect, that in most states makers and sellers of motorcycles don't face the same legal barriers to direct sale as do auto makers. What is certain is that adding middleman -- i.e., franchised car dealer -- would lift the cost of the Elio far above the magic $6800 that Elio swears by (and probably at, in his private moments).

In the long run, the various states (and possibly the Federal Department of Transportation) will need to re-define "automobile" to include vehicles like the Elio (3-wheeled, but enclosed, safety cage, automotive engine and controls, etc). I think the essence of such a definition will be "an enclosed vehicle with 3 or more wheels, carrying 2 or more passengers but fewer than 14, intended to be operated primarily on streets and highways". (To distinguish among trucks, busses, and ATVs)

Once the definition of "automobile" is amended, Elio will need to face into the battle of dealership law.

In conclusion, there's no free lunch here. Being a motorcycle skirts restrictive and expensive sales laws, but hurts acceptance of the vehicle in the long run. Just another set of rapids to be safely navigated...

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The vehicle is now classified as a motorcycle: Cars are defined as having four wheels.
This is a simple-minded definition, but, then, consider the people who wrote it -- and that nobody had imagined a serious 'automobile" with 3 wheels when the legal definition was drafted.

In the long run, being defined as a motorcycle will have very negative effects on Elio Motors. No matter what they actually achieve in terms of safety standards, the very word "motorcycle" is chilling to many, many people -- especially to women. Motorcycles, people think, are dangerous -- and so they are. If it's classed as a motorcycle, it must be dangerous, right? To expect thought from the buying public is asking a lot ...

In the short run, Elio benefits from the motorcycle classification. I don't have a list of all the safety requirements from which the Elio can be exempted, but I imagine it's extensive. Not that Paul Elio WANTS to avoid auto safety standards. (I'd like to see such a list; do any forum members have one)

The main advantage for Elio in being classified as a motorcycle is that he can avoid the restrictions most states have placed on the sale of cars, requiring dealerships be established to handle all sales. This is slamming Tesla in many states, especially New Jersey.

I do not know for sure, but suspect, that in most states makers and sellers of motorcycles don't face the same legal barriers to direct sale as do auto makers. What is certain is that adding middleman -- i.e., franchised car dealer -- would lift the cost of the Elio far above the magic $6800 that Elio swears by (and probably at, in his private moments).

It's all in the marketing. It's a three wheeled car, only classified as a motorcycle.

When people visualize a motorcycle, they see two wheels.
When they look at an Elio, 99.99% of them will not see a motorcycle.

When you visualize a car, they see four wheels.
When they look at an Elio, 99.99% of them will see a car with three wheels.

Market it as a three wheeled car and explain the benefits of being classified as a motorcycle. If you don't all ready know a three wheeled vehicle is a motorcycle you will see a car. JMO

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that a motorcycle classification will hurt sales. As it stands, I will not get an Elio when it is produced if I need amotorcycle endorsement to drive it. Not because I find motorcycles inherently unsafe, but because I am inherently unsafe on one. And to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license would require me doing a road test on an actual 2 wheel motorcycle.
BUT there is a third option. A few states have passed an "autocycle" bill. My Colorado is considering one. An autocycle classification keeps all of the benefits of not being a car with none of the drawbacks of being a motorcycle.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that a motorcycle classification will hurt sales. As it stands, I will not get an Elio when it is produced if I need amotorcycle endorsement to drive it. Not because I find motorcycles inherently unsafe, but because I am inherently unsafe on one. And to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license would require me doing a road test on an actual 2 wheel motorcycle.
BUT there is a third option. A few states have passed an "autocycle" bill. My Colorado is considering one. An autocycle classification keeps all of the benefits of not being a car with none of the drawbacks of being a motorcycle.

I also like the autocycle classification and I know that this is what Elio Motors is pushing for in the states. Hopefully Elio Motors proves to be a successful venture and we see a federal autocycle designation in the future as this would be the best way to handle the specific needs of this type of vehicle.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio refers to the Elio as breakthrough transportation, personal transportation, commuter, or vehicle making no reference to motorcycle or car that I have seen. Same with Lit Motors as they refer to their new breakthrough vehicle as a self balancing 2 wheel car combined with the romance of a motorcycle. I believe Elio and Lit Motors will work out the vehicle classification so no MC endorsement or helmets are required for either of these breakthrough vehicles. It's in their best interest to market and sell vehicles.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

In the long run, the various states (and possibly the Federal Department of Transportation) will need to re-define "automobile" to include vehicles like the Elio (3-wheeled, but enclosed, safety cage, automotive engine and controls, etc). I think the essence of such a definition will be "an enclosed vehicle with 3 or more wheels, carrying 2 or more passengers but fewer than 14, intended to be operated primarily on streets and highways". (To distinguish among trucks, busses, and ATVs)

Once the definition of "automobile" is amended, Elio will need to face into the battle of dealership law.

In conclusion, there's no free lunch here. Being a motorcycle skirts restrictive and expensive sales laws, but hurts acceptance of the vehicle in the long run. Just another set of rapids to be safely navigated...
If I had only heard about the Elio as a motorcycle I might agree with you because I have never had a desire to ride a motorcycle. However, it was presented to me as a car (and I really like the PTV idea) and I saw it. That is all it took. I am in love. I don't care what the government calls it, I want an Elio. I also fell in love with the 3 wheel idea, and oddly enough, the tandem seating. Now if those seats were saddles instead, NO WAY! I know a few people on here find the Elio ugly. I am definitely NOT one of them. I have found when I draw people's attention to my bumper sticker, they are fascinated. The only person who thought the Elio ugly was a friend who had only seen the P3. Once she saw the P4 it was no longer ugly! LOL :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you looked at the Elio enclosed three wheeler and fell in love..........you secretly had the desire to own a cycle.........a romantic at heart. Nothing ugly about the Elio......actually quite slick and aerodynamic styling...........like a vintage fighter plane or shark.

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I had only heard about the Elio as a motorcycle I might agree with you because I have never had a desire to ride a motorcycle. However, it was presented to me as a car (and I really like the PTV idea) and I saw it. That is all it took. I am in love. I don't care what the government calls it, I want an Elio. I also fell in love with the 3 wheel idea, and oddly enough, the tandem seating. Now if those seats were saddles instead, NO WAY! I know a few people on here find the Elio ugly. I am definitely NOT one of them. I have found when I draw people's attention to my bumper sticker, they are fascinated. The only person who thought the Elio ugly was a friend who had only seen the P3. Once she saw the P4 it was no longer ugly! LOL :) Z
A few stripes here and there , fender change and wheels it will be decent, Maybe the p5 will be a little more rounded in the rear like the p3..I'm looking at the 84 mpg.My uncle is looking at the seating arrangement.He says until I'm 49 I'm not allowed to sit next to a guy and Forbids me to date anyone who does not drive an Elio.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I too own a motorcycle -- and am licensed to use it -- but got banged up pretty badly during the learning process. The bike's too heavy for me. I still love it, but will sell it towards my Elio!

Top Bottom