• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Naias 2017

Bikebrains

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current hood latching system is a nifty, flush, push button on each side of the hood, but whether this is the final design is still under consideration.
In Chicago, a hood mounted latching system is like a big sign saying "VANDALIZE ME"! Automotive engineers created the best solution with the design of the under the hood latch connected to a driver accessible lever. If the hood mounted, push button design was a good idea then it would have been widely adopted by other manufacturers. Also, the push buttons require putting holes in the hood at a precise location, adding manufacturing complexity and creating a water infiltration point that would lead to rust. An ice storm could render the push button inoperable. The hood latching issue should have been solved in the prototype series. An internal latch and lever system is simple, durable and secure.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
In Chicago, a hood mounted latching system is like a big sign saying "VANDALIZE ME"! Automotive engineers created the best solution with the design of the under the hood latch connected to a driver accessible lever. If the hood mounted, push button design was a good idea then it would have been widely adopted by other manufacturers. Also, the push buttons require putting holes in the hood at a precise location, adding manufacturing complexity and creating a water infiltration point that would lead to rust. An ice storm could render the push button inoperable. The hood latching issue should have been solved in the prototype series. An internal latch and lever system is simple, durable and secure.
How many of the new cars and trucks hinge in the front? With the accuracy of these machine used in manufacturing, stamping in 2 additional holes and flanging the metal is really no big deal. By flanging the metal there are no "raw" edges, this is the same thing they do for sunroofs and side vents; so no water infiltration / no rust and how much of the Elio body is metal, and how much is composite? Composites don't rust in the first place. You can very easily place a locking mechanism in those latches, the Mustangs have them on the high end models.
I grew up in South Chicago and there was a saying about car theft; "if we want it, we'll take it" so having this locking system on the Elio isn't an issue. How many car thieves are going to want to steal a 3 cylinder 60hp motor?
If you're really concerned that much about car theft, increase your insurance coverage.

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have an empty RV carport at my place too. And here in Phoenix it's dry enough that mild steel will take years to get any significant rust damage if left out in the elements.

Plus I won't have my own Elio to park there for a while since I only have a fairly recent $100 all-in reservation.

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Went to Detroit show today and here is what I learned:
1.The transmission is the same for both the manual and automatic. The difference is that one has a clutch with shifter and the other uses solenoids to make the shifts.
2. The gas cap will end up on the right side.
3. It felt solid when I sat down and the door closes with a nice solid thunk.
One Elio person suggested that you might want snow tires in the winter if you have much snow.
4. The Elio people said this was a very fun car to drive.
5. When a pothole is spotted and you must straddle it, split the difference between your foot and the tire.
The Elio display had a large gathering around it for the hour I was there.
Hope they get funding soon.

Attachments

• People.JPG
    People.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 419

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thank You Interested New Member.
I am confused now as to which side is which.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9XZYtzJl5ZI/VAkmKzrTfII/AAAAAAAAGqw/XZGnHDeSNlU/s1600/2.jpg
Sorry to confuse you. What I meant is that if you straddle the pothole with the front wheels the back wheel will hit it. You must therefore have the pothole go between a front wheel and the back wheel. Not easy to explain but they told me you learn quickly once behind the wheel.

Oh, I almost forgot, I asked about the "up to 84MPG" statement. It might be possible to get more than that on a flat road on the highway going about 55MPH. We will have to wait and see.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to confuse you. What I meant is that if you straddle the pothole with the front wheels the back wheel will hit it. You must therefore have the pothole go between a front wheel and the back wheel. Not easy to explain but they told me you learn quickly once behind the wheel.

Oh, I almost forgot, I asked about the "up to 84MPG" statement. It might be possible to get more than that on a flat road on the highway going about 55MPH. We will have to wait and see.
There are always things you can do to increase and decrease mpg with the way you drive; the ones that go to the deep end are called Hypermillers
"Hypermiling is a form of extreme energy efficient driving, where the aim is to get the most miles out of every litre of petrol. Rather than spend money buying the most economical car, the idea is to drive your current car in the most economical way possible.Jun 26, 2014"

Top Bottom