• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Need To Convince The Wife

ternion

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a young professional in the Bay Area. I desperately want to be a part of this group with my own reservation (I'd get $250 all-in); but I am having a very tough time getting a blessing from my wife, even for a want-in.

She thinks Elios are:
  • not economically practical for my 12 mile commute or for our family of four (debatable)
  • for 'trendy liberal yuppies only' (a slightly negative connotation to her; also opinion)
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion)
I'd appreciate any assistance on the best ways to counter these points. If I got one, she'd likely never drive it (I'd get a manual, and she can't drive manual), and this would be replacing an 18 mpg Tacoma dblcab as my commuter. Money isn't the issue, and I know I can do it regardless of her blessing, life would just be much easier if she was swayed.

Last edited:

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"for 'trendy liberal yuppies only' (a slightly negative connotation to her; also opinion)"

REALLY..... just show her arround here, Lots of us fall no where near that area :)

My wife does not fully agree with my decision either, but my payoff is less than 3 years due to my commute. And I do not think she has ever been in my Regal, she HATES it, and I have put over 200,000 miles on it.
Unsafe,,, data pending , but then the leading cause of death is life
Ugly,, in the eye of the beholder

Give her time, and talk it up :)
Nice to have you here on the forum, welcome

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a young professional in the Bay Area. I desperately want to be a part of this group with my own reservation (I'd get $250 all-in); but I am having a very tough time getting a blessing from my wife, even for a want-in.

She thinks Elios are:
  • not economically practical for my 12 mile commute or four our family of four (debatable)
  • for 'trendy liberal yuppies only' (a slightly negative connotation to her; also opinion)
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion)
I'd appreciate any assistance on the best ways to counter these points. If I got one, she'd likely never drive it (I'd get a manual, and she can't drive manual), and this would be replacing an 18 mpg Tacoma dblcab as my commuter. Money isn't the issue, and I know I can do it regardless of her blessing, life would just be much easier if she was swayed.
Ternion, welcome to the forum. Just let your wife know how much money you can save by commuting in your Elio. Money you can use to take her out to dinner or a night at the theater. You might want to scroll through the forum and review the threads that most appeal to you. Be careful because the forum is addictive. Welcome and good luck.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ternion, I don't think you're going to convince her . From the moment I first saw the Elio , I knew I was going to own one. I sincerely thought EVERYONE would agree with me that the Elio was ground breaking and desirable . What I've discovered is that some folks see something completely different than I . Comments like "Odd, Impractical and . embarrassing initially surprised me . Fortunately I don't care what others think . In all my years , I've not seen such an automotive value . A fully equipped , 84 MPG, American made, $6800 new vehicle is evolutionary and may be the benchmark for many years after it's release.

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello All,

She thinks Elios are:
  • not economically practical for my 12 mile commute or for our family of four (debatable)
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion)

The Elio is going to be more economical, it doesn't matter if your commute is 12 miles or 60 not just in fuel but also insurance.
However the Elio is touted as an "and" vehicle, in addition to a larger vehicle if needed and if Children are in your plan you will need a car as well as your Elio for the commute.

unsafe I doubt it, using the same type roll cage used in racing (and you've seen those crashes)

UGLY who's to say. I kind of like ugly .

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello All,

She thinks Elios are:
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion)
I have to laugh at your wife's assumption this is a "trendy liberal yuppies only" vehicle. At one point this site was 95% men and 65% were over 50. If the percentages have changed it isn't by much That rarely qualifies them for the yuppy title. As for liberal. Not a chance as near as I can tell. LOL Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder. I think the Elio is cute and can't wait to drive mine. BTW, I am 73 year old woman. As far as practical for a 12 mile commute. I used to live in SF and other parts of the Bay Area for over 10 years. That 12 miles can take forever. City mileage is predicted to be 49 mpg. Obviously your 18 mpg Tacoma doesn't even come close. Will 4 people be riding in it? Not likely if you want to be legal. For someone like you it is an "and" car. It is much more practical than your Tacoma.

BTW, welcome from Oregon, ternion. You don't have to have a reservation to join the site. It is a great place to learn al lot about the Elio and about a lot of other topics also. We are a very diverse and interesting group so simply jump in and enjoy the ride with or without a reservation. I suspect it won't take long before you will decide the Elio is worth the risk. If you dare, encourage your wife to read also. But be very careful - you may end up getting two Elios. :-) Z

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello All,

She thinks Elios are:
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion)
To start with, ternion, let me say WELCOME to our Elio Family Forum!

And I do identify with your situation with the wife. Wives are lovely creatures, aren't they? And they do always mean well. . . . They just don't seem to be wired as we are and some times, their "mean well" thoughts, just AREN'T well thought out. Love em anyway, don't we? :D

I mean, we've got too, don't we? After all, we DID marry them.

Read her 4 bullet points, and have to say that she is off the mark most; particularly about it being a car for " trendy, liberal yuppies only." I am only one example, but you will find NO one out there any more "hard core, died in the wool CONSERVATIVE than myself.

My pitch to my Boss,(wife,) has always been: I have ALWAYS put you and the family first, always got up in the morning, gone to work and you, nor the kids have wanted for anything. I am always home when I should be, do NOT chase women, nor hang out in bars, drinking with the guys after work. . . . . . . . . And well, my Dear. . . . I WILL be doing the one thing. . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Doubt that she will leave you. . . . , they really, rarely do over something like this. :D :eek:

Good luck my friend. There will be larger fish to fry, later in your marriage. Compromise then, when it is truly an important issue. This one is YOURS! ;)

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello All,

She thinks Elios are:
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion)

Tell her she's right. Tell her you've decided to sell your place in line and put the money on another vehicle that all the family can ride. This one:

http://www.dieselbike.net/trikes_large/Huge_Trike.jpg

She'll be glad for you to go back to the Elio

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
She thinks Elios are:
  • unsafe (unproven)
  • ugly (opinion).

I hate to give an illustration like this because there will inevitably be a nitpicker who will come unglued and disagree with some number that has been chosen out of the air ..:rolleyes:.. given the commute and current vehicle listed, as a get to work and back vehicle, hypothetically, it would take about 5 years for you to save the cost of an Elio ....

24 miles X 2 = 48 miles per day X 20 work days per month X 12 months == 11520 miles per year

11520 -:- 18 = 640 gallons per year

11520 -:- 80 = 144 gallons per year

640 - 144 = 496 gallons per year saved

496 X $2.75 per gallon = $1364 saved per year

$7000 cost of an Elio - $1364 = a little over 5 years

subtract what you get by selling your current commuter vehicle and the time frame could be considerably less

to me this confirms that, in your case, purchasing an Elio could make economic sense .... that said, based on the other objections raised by your wife, this appears to be an emotional issue, not a rational one .... good luck with dealing with that .... ;)

Jim

Top Bottom