• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Job

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow G1, do you ever get to go home? Or is it life from one hotel to another?
That was the one thing I stipulated when I had a job that had me on the road; always home on the weekends; and they did grant that to me.
And I'm curious; how noisy are those plants? I see the hard hat, but do you have to carry the hearing protection and the steel toed shoes just for traversing to your work area?

During the spring and fall outage seasons I will pretty much live on the road performing maintenance and working on upgrade projects. During the rest of the year I will spend about half the time in the office preparing for outage season work and the other half of my time in the field making customer requested changes and/or replacing failed control system components. Most of this work is scheduled such as to allow us to be home on weekends.

Steel toed shoes and a hard hat is standard procedure in a power plant anytime outside the admin buildings. Depending on the plant various forms of vision and hearing protection is required in certain areas at certain times. Generally double hearing protection is required to work near the turbine when they are in operation so I carry both ear plugs and big ear muffs that attach to my hard hat.

While noisy in certain areas gas turbine power plants are designed to be as quiet as possible from the outside. Standing 100 yards away you would never know that there is an active power plant there if you did not see it.

Last edited:

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
G1 awesome photos and great news. I am not an engineer, im just the tech but i get dirt covered just like the blue collar guys do sometimes.

When we built the new hospitals I was given access to remove all of our networking equipment from locations that were not vacant. I also got to destroy an entire building (12 floors) of network equipment once :D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
G1 awesome photos and great news. I am not an engineer, im just the tech but i get dirt covered just like the blue collar guys do sometimes.

When we built the new hospitals I was given access to remove all of our networking equipment from locations that were not vacant. I also got to destroy an entire building (12 floors) of network equipment once :D
Did they let you keep the copper? Or did you have to turn it in?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I kept it. I donated a lot of the money from the equipment to a church group for a mission trip.

I had several van loads of copper at nearly a dollar a pound :D.
Copper is $6.35 a pound up here now; the meth heads are stealing anything they can find that's made of copper.
Gutters and downspouts don't stand a chance.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Solid copper is far more valuable then wiring. Here they don't want you to melt the insulation off they take it as is.
The house I bought in Georgia was cheap because someone stole all the copper wiring and plumbing... I replaced the plumbing with CPVC... The electrical is still copper but I've been keeping it rented.

But, on topic, I retired October 30... I'm actually on Terminal leave till February 01, 2016. However, I have an interview on Monday. I can't just not work. Shoot, I've still got three of four daughters living at home, the youngest 6.

Top Bottom