• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Member Here - Saw The Elio In Cedar Rapids

JBoz

Reaction score
Hi - so, my quick story. I'm actually not in the market for an Elio, but my 15 year old son is. I told him 2 years ago that he will have to earn enough money to purchase his own car. Even though I have the means, I want my sons to understand the value of hard work. Well, he spent hours researching cars online, looking for the most affordable, economical options...and that's how he became aware of the Elio, and he has been kind of fascinated ever since. So, when the Elio came to Cedar Rapids, it coincided with the fact that I needed to get over to Iowa City for something else anyway, so I brought my wife & son and we made a fun road trip out of it.

So, some impressions that might provide you all with some insights into how this might do when it comes to market.

My son: Loved it. Period. End of story. He's still smiling 2 days later.

My wife: She's very practical, so I assumed she would see the Elio as a bit of folly. I was wrong. She loved the styling, the small footprint, the low price point, and the 84 mpg. She also has a very good business mind, and her immediate impression was "they are going to sell a ton of these." We got home and did the StartEngine "IPO" for $10k.

Me: I don't see the Elio as something that I would want as my personal everyday vehicle because I just like a bit more sheet metal around me and storage room. I sat in both the front seat...very cool, but I felt like I needed more rear visibility than the two side mirrors provided. And then I sat in the rear seat...I am not claustrophobic, and I'm normal sized, but I personally couldn't handle being back there. The feeling that I was trapped was overwhelming to the point of near panic. If we buy one, and I suspect we will, I will never ride in the back. So, that confirmed for me that this is absolutely a one-person vehicle with the feature of a backseat to be used very sparingly and on rare occasions.

So, here is my thought - and a bit of a question. We have 2 teenager sons (15 & 16), both away at boarding schools, and soon college. They come home for the summer, and they need access to a vehicle (they will probably share). So, my wife and I are considering the Elio as a 3rd vehicle. When the boys need to drive for solo trips, maybe they take the Elio. When they need to transport other passengers, they can take one of our conventional cars, leaving the Elio for either my wife or I to drive. My question is whether or not the Elio is an appropriate vehicle for a teenager to operate. One thought that comes to mind is something I read years ago about teen drivers being most likely to have accidents when they are driving around with their friends in the car (probably the distraction factor). Elio kind of solves that, but maybe I'm trying to justify it :)

Final thought - I agree with my wife. The Elio has the potential to take the market by storm. The price is within reach for many, many people, the styling is cool, the gas mileage is insane. The biggest unknown factors for me are how much fun to drive it will be, and reliability. If it's an absolute hoot to drive, then it will sell. If it turns out to be reliable and mostly trouble free, it will sell. If the Elio nails both of these, it will sell in a very big way. Good luck Paul!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
welcome to the forum .... the Elio is often portrayed as an "And" car .... at its price point it can be purchased to go along with existing vehicles instead of replacing them .... that sounds applicable to what you have mentioned .... glad to hear of your family's impressions, they mirror those of most of us here

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the Elio Family! Glad you got to see it and glad you and your family saw the potential in it. I hung out there for a couple of hours Saturday and enjoyed watching people see it, and the numbers. for the first time.

I'm all in, got my number, waiting mostly patiently. I agree, I'm never sitting in the back. But for that matter, I never sit in the back of any of my cars, and it's pretty rare for me to even ride shotgun. I didn't get in the back when I first saw the Elio in Chicago a year ago, didn't this past weekend.. Back in 1979 I bought a brand new Mustang - my first new car. My Dad asked "How's the rear seat head room?". I said I didn't know, didn't plan on ever finding out. I was sitting in the front-left seat. Those rear seats were folded down most of the time (it was a hatchback). I suspect this one might be, too. One person car. Maybe a dog now and then.

As for the kids, I think it will be a great car for them. As you noted, they can't pile a bunch of friends in it, one tops, and they'll be stuck in back out of site. I thought at one time Iowa was at least considering a limit for the number of passengers for young drivers. No idea if it ever passed. And while we all expect it to be fun to drive, in all honesty it has a 60 HP engine, 0-60 in under 10 seconds (not 9, 10). It's not gonna be a burner. According to Jerome (who checked with someone via his phone while I was talking to him) right now you will need a Motorcycle Endorsement in Iowa to drive one. They have a 3 wheel section to the test, it shouldn't be hard to get. And there's a good chance that might be 'fixed' by the time Elios are rolling off the line.

You've come to the right place to hear all sorts of news and opinions. Welcome aboard!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi - so, my quick story. I'm actually not in the market for an Elio, but my 15 year old son is. I told him 2 years ago that he will have to earn enough money to purchase his own car. Even though I have the means, I want my sons to understand the value of hard work. Well, he spent hours researching cars online, looking for the most affordable, economical options...and that's how he became aware of the Elio, and he has been kind of fascinated ever since. So, when the Elio came to Cedar Rapids, it coincided with the fact that I needed to get over to Iowa City for something else anyway, so I brought my wife & son and we made a fun road trip out of it.

So, some impressions that might provide you all with some insights into how this might do when it comes to market.

My wife: She's very practical, so I assumed she would see the Elio as a bit of folly. I was wrong. She loved the styling, the small footprint, the low price point, and the 84 mpg. She also has a very good business mind, and her immediate impression was "they are going to sell a ton of these." We got home and did the StartEngine "IPO" for $10k.

Me: I don't see the Elio as something that I would want as my personal everyday vehicle because I just like a bit more sheet metal around me and storage room. I sat in both the front seat...very cool, but I felt like I needed more rear visibility than the two side mirrors provided. And then I sat in the rear seat...I am not claustrophobic, and I'm normal sized, but I personally couldn't handle being back there. The feeling that I was trapped was overwhelming to the point of near panic. If we buy one, and I suspect we will, I will never ride in the back. So, that confirmed for me that this is absolutely a one-person vehicle with the feature of a backseat to be used very sparingly and on rare occasions.

So, here is my thought - and a bit of a question. We have 2 teenager sons (15 & 16), both away at boarding schools, and soon college. They come home for the summer, and they need access to a vehicle (they will probably share). So, my wife and I are considering the Elio as a 3rd vehicle. When the boys need to drive for solo trips, maybe they take the Elio. When they need to transport other passengers, they can take one of our conventional cars, leaving the Elio for either my wife or I to drive. My question is whether or not the Elio is an appropriate vehicle for a teenager to operate. One thought that comes to mind is something I read years ago about teen drivers being most likely to have accidents when they are driving around with their friends in the car (probably the distraction factor). Elio kind of solves that, but maybe I'm trying to justify it :)

Final thought - I agree with my wife. The Elio has the potential to take the market by storm. The price is within reach for many, many people, the styling is cool, the gas mileage is insane. The biggest unknown factors for me are how much fun to drive it will be, and reliability. If it's an absolute hoot to drive, then it will sell. If it turns out to be reliable and mostly trouble free, it will sell. If the Elio nails both of these, it will sell in a very big way. Good luck Paul!
I have not heard people talking about teenage drivers and the "distraction factor". I believe you have a very good point. Your teenager will have to become accustomed to viewing the road from the center to keep it in the center of the lane but if he rides a motorcycle that is already taken care of. Regardless, Chris Fix on You Tube commented he was already becoming accustomed to it. If you have not seen the video:

I believe the Elio will be a vehicle our nation can be proud of. It may be to the rest of the world what the VW bug was.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jobs, welcome to the forum and the dilemma of needing at least two Elio 's. each of your sons can have a new car for less than many worn out used ones. Check out the threads on he forum for gret information. Enjoy the Elio experience and congratulate your wife for her vision and wisdom.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Wow! That's a great story. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the Elio Family! Glad you got to see it and glad you and your family saw the potential in it. I hung out there for a couple of hours Saturday and enjoyed watching people see it, and the numbers. for the first time.

I'm all in, got my number, waiting mostly patiently. I agree, I'm never sitting in the back. But for that matter, I never sit in the back of any of my cars, and it's pretty rare for me to even ride shotgun. I didn't get in the back when I first saw the Elio in Chicago a year ago, didn't this past weekend.. Back in 1979 I bought a brand new Mustang - my first new car. My Dad asked "How's the rear seat head room?". I said I didn't know, didn't plan on ever finding out. I was sitting in the front-left seat. Those rear seats were folded down most of the time (it was a hatchback). I suspect this one might be, too. One person car. Maybe a dog now and then.

As for the kids, I think it will be a great car for them. As you noted, they can't pile a bunch of friends in it, one tops, and they'll be stuck in back out of site. I thought at one time Iowa was at least considering a limit for the number of passengers for young drivers. No idea if it ever passed. And while we all expect it to be fun to drive, in all honesty it has a 60 HP engine, 0-60 in under 10 seconds (not 9, 10). It's not gonna be a burner. According to Jerome (who checked with someone via his phone while I was talking to him) right now you will need a Motorcycle Endorsement in Iowa to drive one. They have a 3 wheel section to the test, it shouldn't be hard to get. And there's a good chance that might be 'fixed' by the time Elios are rolling off the line.

You've come to the right place to hear all sorts of news and opinions. Welcome aboard!
One further point -- teenage hanky panky is physically impossible in an Elio!

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! As the mother of a ( once upon a time ) teenage daughter, who was in an accident with 4 other kids, I can honestly say, I think Elios will save a lot of teen drivers from having accidents. With 1 or 2 in the car the distractions will be greatly reduced. Also with the reduced seating your kids will not be the neighborhood taxi for their friends.
As for teen mating rituals, if there is a will, there's a way.........Elio or not!

Top Bottom