• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Poll For Airbags

Takata Air Bags in your Elio

• Total voters

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Just like any other company that had a recall or bad things happen because of their products will do everything in it's power to make sure something like that can't happen again.
The Takata air bags are probably going to be the best on the market going forward.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The name certainly sets off alarm bells. I think that every time I look at the supplier list. You would hope they've learned from the past and are making a top-notch product now. I haven't heard of any of the major automakers claiming to dump them. Maybe they're still the best option.

Are there any US Suppliers? Are they any good? Certainly not an industry I follow.

A better question - how would Elio have handled the sort of recall the Takata Air Bags caused some of the big boys? I'm thinking expense, not corporate reaction.

Back in my young days I worked for a small contract manufacturer. We were asked to bid on a control assembly for an over the range microwave. The design and parts list was set by the OEM, we were just supposed to buy the parts and put it together. BUT, if there was any recall due to that assembly, for any reason (design, bad vendor parts), we had to bear the cost of the recall. No way there was enough margin in that assembly to cover that risk.

I don't know how it is in the auto industry. Maybe if Elio had the bad air bags, Takata would be on the hook for all recall costs. If not, that could wipe out a start up pretty fast. That's my largest concern with this whole proposition, by far. Everything has to go right for the first year or two. There ain't much buffer for oops's.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Should EM look for a different airbag vendor now, or stick with Takata?

Judging from your pictures background you live in a high humidity area.
Have you verified that none of your vehicles have the airbag inflaters in question?
If one of your vehicles has such an inflater have you taken it off the road pending replacement?
Will you trust a replacement part made by Takata if your current vehicle is impacted by the recall?

Top Bottom