• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New To This: Husband Was One Of The Early Buy-ins.

Jan J

Reaction score
My late husband was one of the early ones who jumped on the bandwagon. I was leery and didn't invest until we saw the prototype in Flagstaff, AZ. (2012?).
So the investment and stock purchases are basically worthless, am I correct? Mark it up to a scam and move on. We only have about $4,000 invested so it is probably not worth the effort. BUT, it is a principle "thing" to me. So, if a lawsuit that might damage the reputation or bankrupt (even more) the con artists, sign me up.
Jan J

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was a big follower of the Elio.... as were many people around here. It was a great concept... but poorly executed. So poorly mismanaged that it certainly gave it the appearance of a ripoff. Personally, I won't go that far. But I can understand how people felt it was a scam. The Elio camp has been stone cold silent for at least 18 months. Not a word. That's not good, but probably the best strategy for Elio to avoid drawing even more attention and possible legal actions... even if a lawsuit might not have a leg to stand on. (People purchased a "spot in line", IF the vehicles were actually built. There was no guarantee that vehicles would actually make it to production.)

At the least, Elio Motors went about it almost like a drunken sailor. A tremendous amount of money was blown in early development. Those millions could have been spent better.... and that is an understatement. To me, it was like Elio was trying to bring the massed produced vehicle to market – just like an established LARGE manufacturer would. Only problem was, he didn't have the deep pockets to pull it off.... and failed miserably.

Hindsight is great! At least it is for me. Mark's BEX is the way to go. Mark is building his prototype on his own without any "reservations or Spot in Lines". He's moving at light speed compared to Elio. I have confidence that Mark will prove what the Elio COULD have been.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was a big follower of the Elio.... as were many people around here. It was a great concept... but poorly executed. So poorly mismanaged that it certainly gave it the appearance of a ripoff. Personally, I won't go that far. But I can understand how people felt it was a scam. The Elio camp has been stone cold silent for at least 18 months. Not a word. That's not good, but probably the best strategy for Elio to avoid drawing even more attention and possible legal actions... even if a lawsuit might not have a leg to stand on. (People purchased a "spot in line", IF the vehicles were actually built. There was no guarantee that vehicles would actually make it to production.)

At the least, Elio Motors went about it almost like a drunken sailor. A tremendous amount of money was blown in early development. Those millions could have been spent better.... and that is an understatement. To me, it was like Elio was trying to bring the massed produced vehicle to market – just like an established LARGE manufacturer would. Only problem was, he didn't have the deep pockets to pull it off.... and failed miserably.

Hindsight is great! At least it is for me. Mark's BEX is the way to go. Mark is building his prototype on his own without any "reservations or Spot in Lines". He's moving at light speed compared to Elio. I have confidence that Mark will prove what the Elio COULD have been.
You summed it up really well 84mpg. None more need to be said.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I followed Elio Motors (Elio), ElectraMecannica (SOLO), and Arcimoto (FUV). The only one I’m aware of that proved it can be done is Arcimoto. They brought their fully FMVSS certified three wheeler to production (made in Eugene, OR) along with delivery of the first 100 production FUVs to early adopters on a mere $35 Million of
efficiently used funding and is currently a debt free new vehicle startup. Arcimoto continues to roll out 4 custom build FUV units per day from the original Arcimoto Manufacturing Plant (AMP) and tooling their newly acquired manufacturing plant (rAMP) while working with Munro and Associates to make design, engineering, and parts supplier improvements to maximize efficiency in production scale. The difference between Elio and Frohnmeyer.........Frohnmeyer had a personal mission, the passion, and surrounded himself with competent people with the necessary skills that shared his passion to R&D their concept in house. Determination and the slow/steady progress of doing what they said they were doing, was the key to their success. SOLO is on the cusp of production. Contrast that to Elio Motors highly successful marketing campaign.

BEX appears to have a similar mission, the passion, the design, engineering, and fabrication background, as a one man show, to build a concept vehicle, but so many milestone hurdles to jump to get a new vehicle certified and across the production finish line. Scaled production numbers required by market demand is the only factor that will make it affordable. Fun to watch the progress, but I don’t have another 12 years to wait for production. Ricklogic says, “test drive one of the Beta Fleet vehicles to be sure it meets or beats your performance, handling, and driver comfort expectations before you plunk money down, beyond a $100 refundable for any reason reservation deposit, on ANY new concept vehicle.” I got what I payed for, met some nice/interesting on-line personalities, and chalked the time up as entertainment value.

Last edited:

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My late husband was one of the early ones who jumped on the bandwagon.
So the investment and stock purchases are basically worthless, am I correct? Mark it up to a scam and move on. We only have about $4,000 invested so it is probably not worth the effort.
Jan J
I'm very sorry to her your husband has passed on. Condolences.

I only invested $100 for the shirt/sticker and 1 share of stock at $5.62. But fact you said only $4,000 means it wasn't a big loss for you, which I am glad.

Yes, you can still sell the shares for its current value at about 1 dollar a share. Least that's something back.

If your spot in line will ever let you buy an Elio is anyones guess. But most feel it will not happen at this point. I sort of like to think Paul might come out of hiding and surprise us all .... But I'm a dreamer.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another consideration is that some makers are accepting the $1000 value of the spot in line towards the purchase of their vehicles. At least they were. Not sure they are still doing it.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You should dump all your Elio Motors stock while you can. After September you might lose it all as the SEC is stopping all normal trades with companies that are "PINK". Elio Motors is one of them. Here's a little bit about it:

If companies on the Pink Market are not in compliance with the new regulations in time, they risk losing their public market. While the SEC set September 28 as the compliance date, OTC Markets Group has given these Pink Market securities until June 30 to review the new guidelines and provide the necessary information to ensure they meet the new standards in time.

For investors, that September deadline is when you will see the non-compliant securities drop out of the Pink Market.

Top Bottom